Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Newcastle , Maine
'67 Globetrotter - Toilet ID/Parts Source

I have a 67 Globetrotter with a Thetford Aqua Magic flush. Appears to be the original. Can't find the tag and it's too late tonight to pull it to check the back side for it. What was the original model and/or how can I ID this one? With that accomplished, where's a good pars source? Mine leaks when there's water in the bowl so I suspect the gaskets between the sections. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Newcastle , Maine
Took it out this AM. No ID tag on it. Here's a pic. Thanks for help in pinning down the ID

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thetford_01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	166536

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Newcastle , Maine
Problem Solved

Wanted to post the results in case it helps someone else. It started when I had to replace the bathroom floor for the 2nd time. The 1st time I didn't use the best materials. Also I think the toilet has been leaking for some time. This time I used 5/8" pressure treated plywood and I coated it with West Epoxy to strengthen and waterproof it. The flange didn't come all the way up thru the floor on one side. I think the tank is hitting the piece of plywood used to tie things together under the top piece. I didn't want to give up the tie in piece so I hoped the gasket would make up the difference. I did find advice in the forum to unscrew the flange but mine didn't want to turn and I gave up before things went south. One key piece of advice on the forum was "why chase parts to salvage a 45 year old plastic toilet when you can get an affordable replacement with a ceramic bowl to boot. A week before going camping for labor day weekend I ordered a Dometic Sealand Traveler Lite model 210 toilet. As usual it arrived about 2 hours after we left on Friday. To get thru the weekend I reinstalled the old toilet with thicker gaskets made from 3/32" rubber I found at the local hardware store. I used JB weld on a crack I could see on the valve of the old unit and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately the gaskets between the sections still leaked so the unit was unusable. We hoofed it to the campground units for the 4 night stay. Now home with new unit in hand, I'm ready to rock - as long as it fits.... I picked the 210 model after consulting Dometic's help line. They said this model was being discontinued but had the advantage of a bowl that dismounts from the base. This proved to be a huge advantage when installing as you can access the back to hook the water up. It also made it easy to confirm that the base gasket was compressed all the way around. I used a flexible water line also based on advice from the forum. In my case a 20" line with 1/2" NPT on the toilet end and 3/8" compression on the other end was perfect. I also got a 3/8" flare to 3/8 compression fitting to adapt the the trailer's original flare fitting on the shutoff valve. When I remounted the bowl I had a little trouble as it was tight to the shower. At one point I had it sealed but the water in the bowl would trickle out into the holding tank. The next attempt it leaked. On the 3rd attempt it sealed and holds water. I'm happy with the hardware choices and have the advantage of a ceramic bowl as well. My only fit issue is I need to remove the cover for the storage compartment behind the toilet (or leave it up to raise the seat. I don't use this compartment so I think I'll attach a cover from the inside so clearance isn't an issue. Thanks for the tidbits I read on this forum that led to these choices. Hope this helps someone else.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Thanks for the information! We are just beginning the renovation of our 67 Globe Trotter, and the bathroom is the first thing we are tearing into. We have high hopes of being able to take the camper out next year....we definately need to get to work!

Thanks Again!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Newcastle , Maine
Now the rest of the story. After my posting above we used the camper late in the season for a weekend and everything went well. I plugged it in at hime and by midweek noticed a smell when I opened the door. The smell was quite strong in the back closet as well. Not so noticable in the bathroom but I was sure it had something to do with the repairs I had just done. We took it for the last trip and had to burn a lot of incense to get thru the trip. Also did not have much battery power and had to read by lantern light. After that I took the battery out and drained the water for winter. I soon noticed the same smell in my garage near the charing battery. Turns out the battery was the culprit. I had it warrenteed and put the new one in last weekend for our 1st trip of the year. Lots of power, no smell! Still can't believe that this happend so soon after the toliet repair. Just glad it's not the tank!