Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
64 GT sink/tub help

I can't figure out how to get to the underside of the countertop. There is clearly a water leak where the supply attaches to the sink faucet or tub faucet but it seems to be one big fiberglass(?) unit and I don't know where to start taking it apart. From the rear access door there is no way to get up that high - can't even see up there much less reach, so I assume the top of the counter comes off but it seems very much attached to the back wall next to the window. Any clues?
BOb
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Update

There were lots of screws holding the plastic "skirt" under/in front of the bathroom sink in place. Most of the screws were under the lip of the counter and a few were accessible from the rear access panel outside the trailer. now the whole "skirt" is loose but it seems like the shower/tub faucet is what is holding it in place. The counter top/sink piece appears to be riveted but I don't think I need to take that out. I really want to change out the faucet but it's really baffling. I have to remove the skirt piece in front of the sink unit to get to the bolts holding the back of the tub faucet... but I can't get to them because the tub faucet is attached to the copper plumbing and so the whole skirt won't move. Can the tub faucet be removed by disassembling it from the front only?
Thanks in advance for any clues...
Bob
Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Should be able to remove the copper fittings from the back of the faucet, then the whole skirt will be free. Our sink is riveted from the wall side. The whole tube/sink/toilet surround need to be away from the wall to remove the sink top.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom (4) A.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	84269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom (10) A.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	84270  

Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Got it!

When I saw your photos, it looked just like my interior. And the sink lying on the floor, just like mine! I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the back of the tub faucet but I managed to get a tiny copper cutter in there and severed the copper supply line which freed everything up. A trip to Lowes and I'm in business with new attachments to the all new PEX I'm running throughout. Can't wait to tear into that tomorrow. I will be able to reuse the cool vintage tub faucet/shower sprayer but the bath sink faucet is a POS and is being replaced. I've been reading the "vintage" and "classic" debate on the forums tonight... I wonder what they would say about the new Grohe sink faucet I'm installing in the bath. It is a sweet little faucet...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I too ran all new PEX water lines this year. We want our A/S to look as original as possible so I kept all of our faucets and just replaced the washers and o-rings to stop any leaking. Do you know about the Metro-Detroit Rally coming up? It's just down the road from you in Milan at KC Campground. You can get more info on the airforums rally area. Stop by if you have time, I think the open house starts at 2pm on Saturday.

Derek
Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
I know, I will keep the old faucet but I kind of like the idea of a new one for now. I do know about the rally but we made reservations way back in the dead of winter for Leelanau SP 8/28 for 6 nights. It's pretty close to boondocking on the banks of Lake Michigan, from what I hear. Considering I've owned this GT for almost 2 years and haven't strayed more than about 15 miles from home, this is a big trip for us. New axle, tires, shocks, and if I get my butt in gear, running water!
Bob
Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Have fun at Leelanau SP, my wife and I were at Wild Cherry RV Resort in Suttons Bay over the 4th of July weekend. Very nice area to spend some time.

D
Old 07-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
I was in the same boat as you are. I wasn't able to keep it looking original because I had to replace the toilet. I ran new PEX throughout as well. I have cracks in the sink and tub that I'm going to have to use fiberglass cloth and resin to fill. And I will also refinish everything so you can barely tell there was a problem. I've got quite a bit of work left. The fiberglass enclosre is really making things hard for me.

Nick
wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote