Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
61 GT saniflush original

working this toilet is new to me and i'm not sure what it is supposed to do or what its problems may be.

it has the foot petal (very hard to press down and must force it back up)for the drop which also pushes down the water button below(or it looks like it should although adjusted wrong). that button is kind of sticky and the water never really stops. under the water button is a dial that claims it adjusts amount of water in tank.

ring a bell? can i replace/rebuild the button and dial part? or does everyone just use the shut off valve to stop the toilet from overflowing? keep in mind i love the old porcelain bowl and dont really want a new looking toilet so a rebuild is 1st choice.
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
A funeral bell tolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig
.. ring a bell? can i replace/rebuild the button and dial part? ... so a rebuild is 1st choice.
I wanted to rebuild my Overlander's original Thetford Aqua Magic Deluxe toilet since all it needed was a soft-good rebuild kit.

Thetford no longer markets the kit seemingly under the guise of "You don't want to rebuild a toilet full of someone else's cooties, do you?"

Annoyingly, there was no way their latest toilet, the Aqua Magic V, would fit my available space.

Luckily, Janet responded to a post I made with a recommendation for the Sealand Traveller Lite available from PPL motorhomes. I'm not saying this toilet will fit your application, but it is porcelain.

Good luck with your 1st choice,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Greenrig.........my toilet (1966 trailer) had a challenge with the foot pedal sticking and the "slide" thing in the bowl not closing very far.

I opened the access panel in the back of the trailer and sprayed degreaser on the metal parts, springs, etc.... Once that was clean, I liberally oiled all of the springs, foot pedal parts and used (of all things) vegetable oil to oil the "slide" thing.

The toilet works like a charm now. Once or twice each summer, I will give the parts a light spray of oil to keep things moving along....no pun intended...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I too like the original porcelain toilet. Since the original water set up wasn't functioning, I decided to use a hand held sprayer, the kind from a kitchen sink. Less fuss and I can use as little or as much water as needed. When boondocking, this is a great advantage. It has its own on/pff valve so it doesn't stay under constant pressure.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
so i pulled the toilet and took everything apart, cleaned, lubed, and reinstalled it. everything works now, sort off. the foot pedal moves freely, presses the water button down and the fills the bowl and stops (if the water pressure is not too high, i found) wow! thats pretty cool BUT i noticed that water is fast dripping (as apposed to slow dripping) into the black water tank from the toilet but not via the bowl. how can this be? how is the water bypassing the bowl and into the tank? i even lined the inside of the bowl with dry TP to make sure it wasnt sneaking by my eyes and it comes up dry.
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote