Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I have had macerator toilets on boats for many years. Guests are a problem. Even though you tell them nothing but TP and what has passed through your body goes into the toilet, they will invariably say but I thought it was flushable. Then you spend about a half a day disassembling the pump working upside down in poop. Strings and such from "flushable" wipes can accumulate around the shaft, and eventually stop or break the impeller. If you have to order the part, it may take several days. Carry spares. Ask me how I know.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
I have had macerator toilets on boats for many years. Guests are a problem. Even though you tell them nothing but TP and what has passed through your body goes into the toilet, they will invariably say but I thought it was flushable. Then you spend about a half a day disassembling the pump working upside down in poop. Strings and such from "flushable" wipes can accumulate around the shaft, and eventually stop or break the impeller. If you have to order the part, it may take several days. Carry spares. Ask me how I know.
My fear is your experience, guests! What is frustrating is the lack of documentation Airstream has given on this model (Sealand/Dometic 8100 series). Also the manufacture's web site is about a zero on helpful too.

If someone who knew these systems, and you would think the mfgr. would be one of them: here is how you unclog it and these are the key parts that are the most common to break and DIY instructions. How hard can that be ?

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Oh yeah, I don't know the construction of the Dometic macerator toilet, but you will probably get familiar with the name, joker valve. Hint-----it ain't no joke.

Life below the waterline is a little more complicated that life above the frame. Gravity flow is a great thing. Just counting the pumps from memory on my boat there are 16.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
We're in to our 3rd week of our maiden voyage with a new 26U. After a bit of a learning curve figuring out the new toilet system, no problems to report. In fact, I rather like it. And final dumping seems to go smoother. Count to 5 for the main flush and 3 for the refill. Works for us. And by the way...none of our air conditioning vent covers have fallen down as of now.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If you are asking, "Is there a problem with toilets that chew everything into small pieces", the answer is no. One of the two best modifications we made to the boat was a toilet upgrade.

If you are asking if there is a problem with the toilet on the 26U, I have no experience with that unit.

In general, use only RV toilet paper, carry a rebuilt kit, and run some vegetable oil through to lube the components.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We have one in our 2015. At first I was reluctant, but I like it now.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
I am pleased with it as well in,ur 26U - no problems to report
TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Oh yeah, I don't know the construction of the Dometic macerator toilet, but you will probably get familiar with the name, joker valve. Hint-----it ain't no joke.

Life below the waterline is a little more complicated that life above the frame. Gravity flow is a great thing. Just counting the pumps from memory on my boat there are 16.
Can you expand on the 'joker valve'?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
If you are asking, "In general, use only RV toilet paper, carry a rebuilt kit, and run some vegetable oil through to lube the components."

Travel safe. Pat
I like the vegetable oil idea. That just makes a lot of since.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Inverter Outlet mystery

26U owners:

Sorry for getting off topic but I discovered a mystery on my 26U and dealer did not have an answer.

My 25FC has a factory inverter installed. Where there are standard 110v outlets and it makes since to have an inverter outlet, AS installs two 110v outlets. One shore power and the other outlet marked with blue sticker designating as an inverter outlet. This configuration comes in wall mounted pairs.

The 26U I am purchasing has two separate 110v inverter outlets under the lounge, one on each side. An inverter outlet for each TV. An inverter outlet for the DVD player. But, there is no additional shore power 110 outlets paired with the inverter outlets. It's as if any 110 needs for the lounge area, all TVs and DVD stuff must all run off the inverter.

Are your 26Us setup this way? Seems strange and if this is the setup, it's really dumb if no shore power avaiable and only inverter. I was thinking if they are pulling both shore power and inverter power to single 110 wall mount but separate the source in each of the two plugs?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2+ Years , Maine
Our 14 Flying Cloud Bunkhouse came with the macerator toilet from the factory. We have been full-time in this unit for almost 2 years and only had one issue where it was jammed and wouldn't flush and would blow the fuse.

It was a water hog for us as well with four people onboard. I have since went with a composting toilet as we boondock most of the time so the water saving alone was worth getting rid of.

It does seem to make getting the black tank to run clean when emptying and flushing a quicker job to do when having the macerator toilet chewing everything up.

Have fun pooping!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We've lived with a different brand macerator type toilet on our sailboat for 10 years now and it has been the most reliable marine toilet I have ever seen!
Learn to live by the rules and you will be fine.
No special TP, no vegetable oil no clogs ever.
We use the boat a lot and we've yet to have any issues...
In fact our Jabsco Quiet Flush (must have been named by a deaf person!) is one of the most reliable toilets we have ever owned, including in our home and the Airstream...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	259631  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #33
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Winston Salem , North Carolina
One socket is for the inverter and the other is for the 110. They should have stickers alongside them - although it is very confusing (we just made our own labels). But a strange thing did happen to us - while on shore power, the 110 side would not work unless the inverter button was pushed on (near sink). After a bit, we could turn the inverter off and all the 110s would work - this was true for both the lounge and the TVs. Our repair shop believes there is a relay switch that's not working properly - so, the inverter is off to the manufacturer now.
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:59 AM   #34
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Winston Salem , North Carolina
this should move to a different forum.
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I just bought a 26U, the plug by the stove is not on inverted.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacnps View Post
One socket is for the inverter and the other is for the 110. They should have stickers alongside them - although it is very confusing (we just made our own labels). But a strange thing did happen to us - while on shore power, the 110 side would not work unless the inverter button was pushed on (near sink). After a bit, we could turn the inverter off and all the 110s would work - this was true for both the lounge and the TVs. Our repair shop believes there is a relay switch that's not working properly - so, the inverter is off to the manufacturer now.
Thanks for Solving my mystery. And yes this topic should hav been posted else where.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
Can you expand on the 'joker valve'?
The joker valve (your toilet may or may not have one) is a rubber "duck bill" type valve. It is in the discharge line, and acts as a check valve like a trap to keep raw sewage and odors from migrating from the line back to the toilet. If the toilet is overloaded with paper and such, this restriction is usually where you will find the blockage.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:39 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
There is probably an automatic transfer switch involved that will transfer from inverter power to shore power when connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
26U owners:

Sorry for getting off topic but I discovered a mystery on my 26U and dealer did not have an answer.

My 25FC has a factory inverter installed. Where there are standard 110v outlets and it makes since to have an inverter outlet, AS installs two 110v outlets. One shore power and the other outlet marked with blue sticker designating as an inverter outlet. This configuration comes in wall mounted pairs.

The 26U I am purchasing has two separate 110v inverter outlets under the lounge, one on each side. An inverter outlet for each TV. An inverter outlet for the DVD player. But, there is no additional shore power 110 outlets paired with the inverter outlets. It's as if any 110 needs for the lounge area, all TVs and DVD stuff must all run off the inverter.

Are your 26Us setup this way? Seems strange and if this is the setup, it's really dumb if no shore power avaiable and only inverter. I was thinking if they are pulling both shore power and inverter power to single 110 wall mount but separate the source in each of the two plugs?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Mac Toilet

Toilet still no problem's. Can use a lot of water tho? Have a bottle of water in bathroom to move paper that is on bowl.Use a lot less water this way.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Toilet still no problem's. Can use a lot of water tho? Have a bottle of water in bathroom to move paper that is on bowl.Use a lot less water this way.
I am still trouble free too. At first I did not like the whole idea of the macerator but grown to like it. A little more concerned when guests use it, even with clear instructions, they tend to think it's like the one back home. A couple clogs, by guest, due to too much paper. But wait 5 mins or so and things seem to take care of itself. I have also found, and makes since, single ply paper seems to put less stress on its mechanics. I just hope that day doesn't come around when it decides to break:-)