Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
San Francisco Bay Area , California
2017 26U plumbing leak

We have our first plumbing leak! We have a 2017 26U RB Queen. I've tried to find posts about a similar layout leak, but I'm still not great with the forums...

I attached a photo of the pipe where we found the leak. The large black thing is the wheel well underneath the "credenza" in the bedroom. The leak appears to be coming from the joint between the horizontal section of pipe and the curved pipe that curves down next to the wheel well.

Honestly, I can't even tell which pipe this is from these schematics. This pipe is located behind and closer to the curbside from the toilet (so in the opposite direction of the shower and sink drains, toward the rear), but it is higher than the toilet and closer to the , and the water coming out seems to be either very clean grey water or fresh water. Hm...

Does anyone know what that opening to the pipe with the square handle would be for? We're wondering if something is blocking a trap (?) and water is sitting. It has mostly been a very slow leak, and we though it correlated with bathroom sink use (it had stopped for days when we stopped using the bathroom sink, but continued showering) but yesterday it got much faster after a shower, which hadn't happened before that we could tell.

We did see some posts about water heaters and pressure... but I can't wrap my head around how everything connects. We're decently handy but not knowledgable about plumbing. The biggest challenge right now seems to be how to access the pipes under the credenza, next to the wheel well, with space to use tools.

Any advice is much appreciated! We won't have a chance to go in for service until January, but we could have a plumber come to us if it's beyond our abilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171103_202510.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	298227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing.png
Views:	145
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	298228  

Old 11-04-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.moody.d View Post
...The leak appears to be coming from the joint between the horizontal section of pipe and the curved pipe that curves down next to the wheel well.

Honestly, I can't even tell which pipe this is from these schematics. This pipe is located behind and closer to the curbside from the toilet (so in the opposite direction of the shower and sink drains, toward the rear), but it is higher than the toilet and closer to the , and the water coming out seems to be either very clean grey water or fresh water. Hm...

Does anyone know what that opening to the pipe with the square handle would be for?
From the floor plan it looks like it is the drain from the vanity sink. The square fitting is for removing a drain clean out.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
From the floor plan it looks like it is the drain from the vanity sink. The square fitting is for removing a drain clean out.
Thanks! That confirms what we were thinking. It's so funny how we are second-guessing ourselves in ways we might not if we were in a house.

We are still not using the bathroom sink, and this morning during a shower it dripped about 2 oz of water into the tupperware lid we have on the wheel well to catch water. I'm still perplexed about why shower water would make its way there, or why taking a shower would exacerbate a sink drain problem.

Either way, we're going to apply some teflon tape to the joint, and/or some bondo to the joint when it is dry.

If that doesn't fix it, we may try to make it into a dealer sooner... annoying, but better than long-term water damage issues!

Thanks for the replies and messages!
Old 11-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Thanks! That confirms what we were thinking. It's so funny how we are second-guessing ourselves in ways we might not if we were in a house.

We are still not using the bathroom sink, and this morning during a shower it dripped about 2 oz of water into the tupperware lid we have on the wheel well to catch water. I'm still perplexed about why shower water would make its way there, or why taking a shower would exacerbate a sink drain problem.

Either way, we're going to apply some teflon tape to the joint, and/or some bondo to the joint when it is dry.

If that doesn't fix it, we may try to make it into a dealer sooner... annoying, but better than long-term water damage issues!

Thanks for the replies and messages!
The lavatory sink and the shower are on the same plumbing system to the grey water tank. Is the tank full?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
When looking over Our 17 FC28 I found that the drain pipes from the kitchen sink were not supported at all and subsequently going down the road just vibrated/bounced so I zip tied it to a hook I installed for support to prevent leaks might want to check how secure that drain line is imho
Old 11-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
Quote:
The lavatory sink and the shower are on the same plumbing system to the grey water tank. Is the tank full?
We are at a full hook up site, and our grey water stays open except for about two showers before we need to dump the black water tank. It was closed this morning when it leaked again, but had only been closed overnight (toothbrushing, handwashing, one shower) so it is only about 1/2 full. Hm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
When looking over Our 17 FC28 I found that the drain pipes from the kitchen sink were not supported at all and subsequently going down the road just vibrated/bounced so I zip tied it to a hook I installed for support to prevent leaks might want to check how secure that drain line is imho
Thanks! I'll see if I can secure any of the pipe sections.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
We have our first plumbing leak! We have a 2017 26U RB Queen.
Does anyone know what that opening to the pipe with the square handle would be for?
I read this with great interest because I also have a 2017 26 RBQ, and experienced a leak. My leak is very small, I thought it was the toilet fill, because I found clean water wet the bedroom floor from the little access plate behind the toilet (two screws) and it appeared before I'd used the shower so it wasn't that. (first trip) I put a towel there and it never got wet. I would have never seen it if it didn't catch a reflection on the floor.
I'm guessing the black square thing is a clean out plug if you need to snake out the drain. RV's use ABS fittings, not PVC, so the drains are black and use a different cement. Things twist and move so leaks are always possible. My previous MH had a leak under the shower pan where the ABS fitting always cracked. I finally put a rubber coupling in between the shower drain and the ABS pipe and never had another problem. Fortunately, the builder made things accessible.
I can't really tell what your picture is. Did you remove the corner cabinet to see what you have? Or just pull out the drawers?
Looking at the plumbing diagram, it's oriented so you're looking from the front door. That black pipe is the toilet drain(#4). I forgot the toilet is raised on a box, and must drain out the back. (I don't like the electric toilet so far. I miss the old manual pedal that rotated a large ball and dumped.)
Try the toilet fill button and see if that generates the leak.
(Up on the right hand switch.)
The shower and the sink drains all go the other way.

If I'm interpreting the diagram correctly, and I think I am, the toilet flushes into that black pipe, then goes UP over the wheel well, and dumps into the black tank. The flow goes up, right, left down. Evidently, the black tank is not under the toilet. I can see I'll be using that clean out plug a lot! Yikes.

Also remove the access plate in the bedroom wall (2 screws)
Next to the corner cabinet, and see if any water is spraying near there. That's where my leak is.

I have a 90 day appointment at the dealer in December so I'll let you know what they find. Please post when you find the solution to yours.

OBTW, have you determined that the water is coming from that large black pipe? The high pressure supply lines are small. The white one.
Quote:
That usually shows up as water in the shower pan.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I read this with great interest because I also have a 2017 26 RBQ, and experienced a leak.

I can't really tell what your picture is. Did you remove the corner cabinet to see what you have? Or just pull out the drawers?
Mollysdad, thanks for the input and I'll keep you updated! We originally removed the panel below the drawers in the "credenza" (corner of our queen bedroom). That is where the photo was taken (see 1 and 2).

I received a very helpful private message from some other 26U owners who had the same issue in the same location. Per their suggestion, I took apart the bathroom closet and found the "lavy" panel that shows me the fresh water pipes above the drain pipe. (See 3 and 4). While I do not feel any water around the white fresh water tubes or black joints, I did see water droplets on the TOP of the black drain pipe, and not directly on the joint. This has me thinking it's dripping down onto the drain pipe, rather than from within the drain pipe, which makes more sense with the intermittent fresh-water pooling. I put some paper towel there (above but not touching the drain pipe) to see if it drips down onto the pipe from above. (It's hard to see in the photo, but the black down below the white pipes is the same drain pipe seen from the side under the credenza.)

Thanks for all the help with trouble-shooting. I'll keep updating and taking your suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 CredenzaWaterPooling.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	298238   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 DrainPipeUnderCredenza.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	298239  

Name:	3 LavyPanel.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	298240   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 BehindLavyPanel.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	298241  

Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I just counted six 90 degree angles between the toilet and the black tank. I'm getting depressed.

Mine is so new, I haven't even looked in all those cabinets yet. I didn't know there was access in there.

Wouldn't it be great if the leak was the bathroom sink and an easy fix? Just dripping on the drain pipe.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
Quote:
I just counted six 90 degree angles between the toilet and the black tank. I'm getting depressed.

Mine is so new, I haven't even looked in all those cabinets yet. I didn't know there was access in there.

Wouldn't it be great if the leak was the bathroom sink and an easy fix? Just dripping on the drain pipe.
Haha, yes, thinking about getting to all those angles using tools is depressing indeed.

The folks who emailed me ended up solving their issue by installing a water pressure regulator. They believe the intermittent problem was because of fluctuating water pressure.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
Quote:
Looking at the plumbing diagram, it's oriented so you're looking from the front door. That black pipe is the toilet drain(#4). I forgot the toilet is raised on a box, and must drain out the back.

Try the toilet fill button and see if that generates the leak.
(Up on the right hand switch.)
The shower and the sink drains all go the other way.

If I'm interpreting the diagram correctly, and I think I am, the toilet flushes into that black pipe, then goes UP over the wheel well, and dumps into the black tank. The flow goes up, right, left down. Evidently, the black tank is not under the toilet. I can see I'll be using that clean out plug a lot! Yikes.

Also remove the access plate in the bedroom wall (2 screws)
Next to the corner cabinet, and see if any water is spraying near there. That's where my leak is.
I checked the bedroom wall access panel, and there is no moisture there. (Lots of glue, sawdust, and aluminum shavings, haha, but no water.)

Also tried the toilet fill, and so far it doesn't cause a leak.

I followed the pipe by eye and I wiggled it to check, and your interpretation of the schematic is correct. The black water drain pipe does go from the toilet, UP over the wheel well. Silly silly...

Definitely considering the water pressure issue. We have an in-line filter attached, but no pressure regulator. That's my next to-do item!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171104_082803.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	298243  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I checked the bedroom wall access panel, and there is no moisture there. (Lots of glue, sawdust, and aluminum shavings, haha, but no water.)
Looks like you barely had one screw holding it too! So that's what's behind there! Looks to have a shut off valve inline too.
Quote:
Definitely considering the water pressure issue. We have an in-line filter attached, but no pressure regulator. That's my next to-do item!
I'm told that newer Airstreams all have a water pressure regulator built in. I still put one on the park spigot, even if it just protects my hose.
At Aluminalina, the park warned me the water pressure was 90 psi and recommended a regulator. Until I see the one Airstream added, I'll keep using it.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Leak

I would check the tightness of the hand tightened fittings. They have to be really tight and they have to b hand tightened.
Good luck
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Quote:
We have our first plumbing leak! We have a 2017 26U RB Queen. I've tried to find posts about a similar layout leak, but I'm still not great with the forums...

I attached a photo of the pipe where we found the leak. The large black thing is the wheel well underneath the "credenza" in the bedroom. The leak appears to be coming from the joint between the horizontal section of pipe and the curved pipe that curves down next to the wheel well.

Does anyone know what that opening to the pipe with the square handle would be for? We're wondering if something is blocking a trap (?) and water is sitting. It has mostly been a very slow leak, and we though it correlated with bathroom sink use (it had stopped for days when we stopped using the bathroom sink, but continued showering) but yesterday it got much faster after a shower, which hadn't happened before that we could tell.

We did see some posts about water heaters and pressure... but I can't wrap my head around how everything connects. We're decently handy but not knowledgable about plumbing. The biggest challenge right now seems to be how to access the pipes under the credenza, next to the wheel well, with space to use tools.

Any advice is much appreciated! We won't have a chance to go in for service until January, but we could have a plumber come to us if it's beyond our abilities.
The square cap is a threaded clean out you unscrew it to snake the system if you have a stoppage I believe. at least that is how it works in a home.
Deston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deston View Post
The square cap is a threaded clean out you unscrew it to snake the system if you have a stoppage I believe. at least that is how it works in a home.
the large pipes are just for drains and should have no bearing on water leaks from supply pipes.
Deston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Plumbing, among many other things, is something AS does very, very poorly.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrossa View Post
I would check the tightness of the hand tightened fittings. They have to be really tight and they have to b hand tightened.
Good luck
This was it! (So far... I hope!) I hand tightened the two black fittings behind the lavy panel. The one that was tighter was the source of the leak, but I tightened both to be safe. I may try to find all the other fittings that I can access from panels and tighten them for good measure.

Quote:
Looks like you barely had one screw holding it too! So that's what's behind there! Looks to have a shut off valve inline too.
I'm told that newer Airstreams all have a water pressure regulator built in. I still put one on the park spigot, even if it just protects my hose.
At Aluminalina, the park warned me the water pressure was 90 psi and recommended a regulator. Until I see the one Airstream added, I'll keep using it.
Yes, just one screw on top that no longer holds, and on the bottom they had a free-floating block of wood that the screw goes into. I may try to rig up my own solution but for now it stays in just fine on its own and I can tape it when we're in motion.

I've also been told that the new AS have a built-in pressure regulator, but heard from other folks with new models that they still had issues. I think I'm going to go with your method and use one as a fail-safe.

----
24+ hours of toilet, sink, and shower use with no leaks!

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions! I continue to learn so much from all of you. Nursing student by day, Airstream student by night and weekend!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Plumbing, among many other things, is something AS does very, very poorly.
Yep, this experience and much more serious issues posted on air forums has me pretty nervous about future plumbing issues... we're here nearly full time to catch any issues, but I'm worried something will happen somewhere we can't see it!

Good luck, everyone!
Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #19
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

Hi, e.moody.d,

We're sorry to learn about the leak you described in your 2017 26U RB Queen. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.