Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
2013 Flying Cloud 23D roll-up shower door won't latch closed

We just brought home our "used" 2013 Flying Cloud 23D. We are thrilled. However we have one nuisance, the spring-loaded roll-up shower door will not stay latched closed. I asked the dealer to please fix it and they mostly did...

However... when you go to actually use the shower, you realize that the handle for the door (complete with printed instructions on how to open the door) is on the outside of the door! This can't be right?!

The dealer hasn't been great at communications (and they are a 2 hour drive away), so I'm looking to see if anyone here can tell me how this handle should be installed. I am suspecting it hasn't been staying closed because it is installed on the incorrect side of the door.

To clarify the best I can w/o a photo, the handle is a vertical while plastic rectangle about 3" x 3/8" x3/8". Currently mounted on the roll-up shower door about 1/2 way up from the bottom on the outside of the door (you can't see it when you are in the shower). On the handle is a decal with black lettering describing how to (push?) cause the door to become unlatched.

My problem is getting it to latch reliably and to figure out how to do that from within the shower.

Thanks to all in advance.

Best, Steve
warmrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Hi Steve,

If I'm following your description correctly, it sounds like your roll-up door is installed properly. I'm not at my trailer now but I'm attaching the best picture I have of my shower door in the open position. Does this match what yours looks like when it's open?

When it's shower time, step inside and grab the metal piece that makes up the edge of the shower door (the piece that runs vertically and has the plastic handle you've mentioned mounted on the outside) and pull the door all the way to your right. There is a mating metal piece fixed to the wall where they connect. You have to slightly angle the metal bar and hook it onto the mating bar. Not the best description, I realize, but I'm a little bit at a loss for words. If my recollection is right, there is raised line on the fixed metal bar (the one attached to the wall) that the door catches on to keep it in place. I believe this line runs the entire length of the metal bar from top to bottom. Mine stays in place very well but if you don't have a good grip on it when you release it, it will snap back in place pretty quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4200493835.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	196678  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
I greatly appreciate you reply to my post as it put my mind at ease that something isn't terribly wrong. Your recollection, verbal description and photograph were all perfect. This is exactly what ours looks like and exactly what we have to do to close the door from the inside.

It seems odd, but at least we are not alone in that...

Thanks...
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just throwing this out there - we use a shower curtain trimmed to fit. Just snapped the rings over the overhead bar for the door. The thin door just seemed too fussy for us...

Tom
Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Those are the oddest placement of windows in a bathroom I have ever seen!!
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
OMG, and they're not even etched! Wow, talk about TMI! I'd be making a tiny blind for the lower one at least. Talk about moonrise every time you stand up!

If you want to insulate those windows and add privacy too, simply take 1/2 inch or thicker rigid styrofoam, make a pattern with paper, cut styrofoam to the shape of the window minus about 1/4 inch all around for fit, then cover the styrofoam with a fabric of your choice and make a handle to pull it back out (handle can be a button, string or just a piece of matching fabric that loosely loops from top to bottom.

Fabric may be sewn or just glued on with a spray glue suitable for styrofoam.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
23D Bath windows

Quote:
That's why they come with a pull down shade to cover them!! You're seeing them at a pretty severe angle also, not quite as low as they may appear in the photo. I like mine and really enjoy having the natural light back there. YMMV....
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Just throwing this out there - we use a shower curtain trimmed to fit. Just snapped the rings over the overhead bar for the door. The thin door just seemed too fussy for us... Tom
I've considered this, too. I know the wind-up do-dad in this shower door isn't going to last forever. I plan to outlive it. I guess that's when I'll need to go with a more conventional shower curtain.

I'm tickled by the comments on the windows. I cracked a huge grin the first time I did a walk through of the trailer. Fortunately, the glass is deeply tinted. But at night with the light on . . . well, better use that pull down shade or it will be the neighbors who will be grinning in the morning.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Just throwing this out there - we use a shower curtain trimmed to fit. Just snapped the rings over the overhead bar for the door. The thin door just seemed too fussy for us...

Tom
We have lived aboard a boat (with a similar shower arrangement) for 26 years. We don't even use a door or curtain. It's just too easy to sit and use the hand-held wand. Of course on a boat it can be harder to stand But since that's what were used to will avoid the curtain or door and one more place mildew can form (but then that is also les of a problem, I hope, than it is on the boat).
Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Quote:
But you have to admit, from the outside (even without some one inside ) they pretty cool looking.