Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
2006 Safari toilet leak

Discovered fresh water around the base of our toilet while camping this weekend. Seemed to appear not immediately after flushing but a short while later.

have researched some threads but not seeing anything about toilet leaks in this year of an AS, most seem to be on older units.

suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
First time out with ours had the same problem. Look in back of the toilet and you will find the nylon attachment for the waterline is loose. Must have been the same "craftsman" worked on both of our unit.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

If tightening the fitting does not solve the problem, the flush valve is the culprit. These eventually wear out and unlike household toilets, a leaky valve leaks water outside the toilet.
Replacement parts are available and repair is a DYI job. I am old, big and not as limber as I used to be and I find that repair is much easier if the entire toilet is removed so that I can get to the back side and replace the valve.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thanks for the input

We will bring the AS home for some cleanup and perhaps winterizing this weekend so i will look at the connection first and barring that fix will look at valve replacement.

Dana
Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Flush valve seems to have done the trick. Even was able to find one locally this afternoon at the same price as I would have paid online.

put some teflon tape on the connection as well, better safe than sorry.

So far no water leaking... we'll see how it looks in the morning.

Now on to the balky oven. . . and then :-( winterizing. I was worried that I might not find the RV antifreeze but Walmart hand an entire endcap.... must be they've done this before.

will be borrowing the neighbors compressor although im tempted to see if my Black and Decker Air Station might do the trick in that it has adjustable air pressure... but probably not strong enough. kills me i saw a 1 gal compressor at Wally world today for about what i paid for the black and decker air station... oh well
Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15
...will be borrowing the neighbors compressor although im tempted to see if my Black and Decker Air Station might do the trick in that it has adjustable air pressure... but probably not strong enough...
Does your Air Station shut off when it reaches your pressure set point? That might not be too handy for blowing out the lines if it shuts off. With a faucet always open it might not reach the set point, so the question is does it have enough lung power to push the water out of the lines? I think it will work, it doesn't take a lot to blowout the lines. If you try it, let us know how it works out.

I've used a small airbrush compressor like this. It has a regulator and will pump 0.7 CFM @ 60 PSI and since it's intended for painting, it's oil less.

Most of us want something we can also air up tires with, so something bigger would be a better deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-142751947.png
Views:	143
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	145638  
Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Will do.

Back to the leak.

it appears that my leak is coming from the bottom elbow of the fresh water line. I am not getting the volume that I was previously, so replacing the flush valve seems to have helped somewhat but i can feel water seeping a the elbow. Pictures here

Name:   sideview1.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  596.6 KB

Name:   topview.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  603.1 KB

any suggestions on how these pvc connections work?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

My 120 volt air station type compressor does fine for blowing out the lines.
You have to watch a big high volume compressor. It gets up over 40 lbs of pressure quickly unless set very low.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Air Station worked great

Handn:

Thanks for the info. I used my Air Station this afternoon and it worked great. got all winterized. Also replaced flush valve and supply line on the toilet, pulled out awning and put silicone spray on all the arms, got oven pilot to light and thoroughly cleaned the inside of the Thetford while I had it out. That was the god awful-est mess I've ever seen. If folks don't pull the toilet and clean it on a regular basis they should...... it's disgusting under there.

took the AS back to storage and pulled the batteries out.

seemed like a shame to winterize when it was 74 but by the time we got back from storage it had dropped to 54....