Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
1979 galley faucet parts still available?

Does anyone know the make and model of the galley faucet used in 1979 on the Sovereign? Single lever, single hole mount.

When turned on, the lever raises the top portion, and water is leaking out from underneath that portion. It just leaks into the sink, but needs to be repaired soon.

Yes, I could replace it, but if parts are available I would rather go that route as much of my trailer is original, or looks original, and works. Of course I have fixed everything at least once over the years. Too much information...

Thanks.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
It "possibly" is a Moen faucet. They were used in those years, and yes, the cartridges for the faucet are still available, if that is indeed the problem. Carefully take apart and if it is a Moen faucet, take the old cartridge to Home Depot or Lowes and the should give you a new cartridge at no cost, as Moen had a lifetime warranty on those faucets. Utube will have video's to help you take apart if you have never done one. It is actually quite easy to do.Turn the water pump off first!!! Disconnect the city water supply!! Good luck
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Remove it and take to a plumbing supply house. Best chance to get the correct replacement parts.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Thanks for the replies. I have replaced faucet cartridges and seals before, so I know what I am getting into.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Let us know how the cartridge and seal replacement goes. Our sink faucet is also leaking in the same location, but I was considering switching out the faucet to make it easier when filling pots/washing dishes. I believe ours is also a Moen, but will check and if so, may just replacement the cartridge and seal.

Thanks so much!
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
Decatur , Alabama
I just replaced the moen cartridge in our 79 international galley. I called moen and talked to Amanda she was very knowledgable. I gave her the number off the back of the faucet and I had the parts in a few days. The parts are free if you are the original owner I was honest and cost me $30 I would trust moen for the older parts.
DOCBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
The replacement cartridge number is 1200, the same one that works on most any Moen kitchen faucet.

I can't get a replacement for free since I am not the original owner. Will have to spend $21 at Lowe's, gosh darn it.

DOCBloom, I am interested to hear how easily the old cartridge came out, assuming there was 39 years of corrosion on the parts that hold it in place.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
UPDATE: An easy fix. Parts should be available for many years to come. If you want more details, read on.

The faucet is a Moen 7600 and the same cartridge, part 1200, and O-rings for the spout, kit 117, have been used on many Moen faucets past and present.

After looking at things more closely, I determined that it was the swivel joint of the spout which was leaking. Usually the bottom seal leaks but in this case it was the upper one, making me think the cartridge was the problem.

I purchased that O-ring kit from a local plumbing supplier for just under $5.00. It comes with two rings about 1" in diameter, which I needed, and a larger one that is not used. Also included is a tiny capsule of plumber's grease.

The brass nut at the top of the valve body, which holds the spout down and locks in the cartridge, took a little extra force to come loose, but nothing too extreme. The old O-rings were brittle and broke when I pulled them off.

That sealed the leak and took little time to repair. The cartridge seems to be fine for now so I will return the one I bought. Note that I also bought a special tool for extracting the old cartridge from the valve. They are usually stuck at this age and so I was prepared for the worst case scenario.