Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
mcconnelsville , Ohio
1978 ambassador toilet leak

The trailer has been setting idle for 7 years and I have been working on getting it ready to primative camp. Obviously it was not winterized properly because I have been spending all week fixing leaks. I finally got everything sealed and or replaced to check the 12 volt water system and everything works but there is a hissing sound coming from the toilet and the pump keeps kicking on. I discovered the carpet getting wet around the toilet and currently have her shut back down. From reading some ot the other posts it sounds like a difficult job to remove the toilet but that is exactly what I need to do. Any help from anyone who has been through this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
mohrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sounds like the closet gasket (the ring that seals the toilet's junction to the floor flange) dried out during the seven years it sat dry.

Probably the same for one of the washers in the fresh water supply. It's leaking and triggers the pressure drop which turns on the pump.

Just a WAG, but if it's only washers and a gasket, that's a cheap fix...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Bench test

I think you have damage on the fresh water side of the toilet, not the waste side. If other damage has occured from freezing I think the toilet has some damage. You should only have to remove 2 nuts and disconnect the waterline to get the toilet off of it's mount. Take it out of the trailer.
Then rig up a way to connect it to a garden hose and look for what is leaking.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
That makes sense too, and I especially like the idea of bench-testing it with a hose.

When you determine what is wrong with it and reinstall it back into the trailer, I would still replace the closet gasket. They come in different heights, to allow for various mounting solutions.

As part of replacing it, make sure that the toilet makes good firm contact with the floor all the way around its base. If it can rock, that opens up the possibility of it leaking at some later date.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
I had a similar issue quite a few years ago on my parents (now mine) 76 Argosy 26. There is what they call a vacuum breaker mounted up around the hinge area on the underside of the toilet that was leaking. You need to remove the toilet ,only two nuts, one under the flush pedal at the front, and the other inside around the back. There is a plug exposed when the toilet seat is up to help locate the rear nut. Those ratcheting wrenches are very helpful in small spaces like this.There are two hoses attatched to this component. Had to remove the hoses and replace the part. Found it easier to use regular hose clamps instead of trying to put the old style clamp back on. Of course you need to disconnect the water supply line.

I think what you need is this part although I am not completely sure as it has been over twenty years since i did the last repair.

Amazon.com: Thetford 20830 White Vacuum Breaker Package: Automotive

Hope this helps !!
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote