Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
Cool 1974 Argosy Toilet valves

I was having a simple leak repaired in the toilet by the local RV shop when I received a telephone call telling me that "both valves are broken ' . The replacement valving is quoted at $210 pluss about 3 hours of labor totalling about $500. They said they couldn't fit a new toilet in becuase this unit is too old.

has anyone had this problem and how was it fixed. I am off to the shop to view this problem.

Any help is appreciated. Are they just flushing me down the drain?
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I put a new Aqua-5 in my Argosy....

You may consider it best to go purchase
your own new tiolet and install it yourself.

Could save ya a chunk of money.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
what is the complete manufacturer's anme and model number. What did you pay for the unit?

The RV shop was pointing out that the toilet was short, had to fit under a 12 1/2" lip molded into the back of the trailer interior cowling and that the seat had to be short to not be stopped from a full open postiion before hitting the backrest. (undrstand?)

The Argosy is a 74 24' unit. Is that the same as yours? Were the baths differnt in a longer unit?

Thanks for your replay.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Thetford Aqua Magic V......I paid about $200 by the time I got flanges and misc.
RV Toilets, Holding Tanks & Sanitation
PPl has a good list on the page above.

It'll take you an hour or two.

Other web info:
Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Search Results : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
Old 10-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here is another one, available at your friendly Camping World:
Bravura Toilet Low Profile - Parchment - Item - Camping World

Make sure you get the low profile toilet, unless you are 6'8", or like getting nosebleeds while perched on the throne...
Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
"Which Toilet" from the Thetford site may give you some ideas:

Recreational Applications
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I have read in other posts about some folks not
really liking the "height" of the standard model.
The low-profile model does seem best. Clearance
is one matter...comfort is another. Function is still KING!
Get one in there that "works".
Old 10-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
I have been told the older toilets are shorter front to back than the new models. That may cause a problem with the molded back shelving. Does anyone have the dimensions of the low profile V model?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
any more info out there?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Thetford Comparison Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloman View Post
I have been told the older toilets are shorter front to back than the new models. That may cause a problem with the molded back shelving. Does anyone have the dimensions of the low profile V model?

Thanks for all your help.
Hey! Check out this comparison chart from the Thetford site:

Permanent Toilet Conversion Chart

Once you see the models that will work as a replacement, you can follow the links to get the specific dimensions of each toilet. I'm currently looking for a replacement for my old Aqua Magic SL (Starlight Low Profile) for my 75 Argosy 24. Can't decide, but will definitely put the measuring tape to it before I buy.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
More information

hello, I finally drove my Argosy down to a local RV parts shop and they let me dry fit the toilets. Here is what I learned. Neither the Magic or the Bravura fit the space without removing the back cover to the shelf behind the toilet. Both low profile models fit under the shelf itself but when the toilet seat is raised for use, it doesn't open fully. Removing the cover allows about another 3/4" of motion that allows the toilet seat to fully open when you are sitting. The Magic 5 model requires that the flange be rotated about 45 degrees for the attachment screws to work. The Bravura flange has multiple alignments and therefore fits without modification. The difference in price was about $50 so I bought the Bravura. I probably would have F... up the flange rotation so I chickened out and paid more $. It is a nicer toilet, looks, shape and hopefully function. I did find the toilet at adventure RV at a great price compared to local stores or other online suppliers. Their service was good too. You don't get a tracking number right away but the tracking # and the package arrived about 5 days after ordering. I will use them again. Don't think I riped the local parts store off without buying something. I bought a mantenance book and new shower faucet. I'll be back for a new battery as well.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Sealand for Me

Buffaloman,
After more consideration, I decided to opt out of the Bravura. It's a great looking toilet that would fit the original flange, BUT I didn't like the way it would render the compartment door above it inoperable. So, I'm choosing to go with the Sealand Traveler Lite Model 111 (LOW PROFILE). It will fit like a charm snuggly in the recessed area and it will not interfere with the compartment door above. I'll need to invest an additional $20 for the flange adapter, but it's still cheaper than the Bravura...PLUS it's a lightweight CHINA (really nice).

Check out the pics from Juel in her Argosy, plus this link that has it for $140. NOTE: The model 110 is the high profile, and the model 111 is a low profile. Those of us with the recessed area behind the toilet and the compartment with the door just above the toilet will need the model 111. Both models look identical, so be sure to ask before ordering (If you haven't already installed the Bravura, that is...).

Sealand 110 Series Toilets, Marine, Sealand at Sportsman's Guide

One more site that shows specific dimensions of both models (high profile and low profile). Price is a bit cheaper here than at Sportsman's Guide:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ks/dometic.htm

Tags
toilet replacement