Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Has anyone tried krylon Fusion on the bathroom fixtures?

Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I have been told, though I never tried it myself, that the color of the bathroom plastic is consistant through the thickness of the plastic so stubborn stains and discoloration can be sanded off without harming the finish.
Our Airstream manuals confirm that Airstream believed that early 70's plastic can be sanded back to the original color.

We have done some sanding, as the manual instructs, and have been able to get rid of a some rust rings, and rust in the tub. We do have some sun discoloration that evidently runs much deeper, and we haven't yet sanded deep enough to sand that away.

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #17
Georgeinsf

1970 31' Sovereign
San Francisco , California
Send a message via AIM to Georgeinsf
Check out the restoration project on the DIY Network website and you'll see how they restored their 70 Overlander bathroom. They did a light wet sanding process then a 2 part epoxy paint. I used the same method and it has worked great.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Krylon Fusion

we used the Krylon Fusion paint on our bathtub and the sink area. My husband sanded it down, cleaned it off and painted the tub. I did the sink area. It turned out really nice. I think I have some pictures of it when we posted our interior. Our computer crashed and we lost the ones I had stored, I will see if I can copy them into this thread.
Attached Images

https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:43 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Innisfail , Alberta
April 10-I'm a new 'streamer myself and have some work to do on my 72 TradeWind-the cupboard doors are all pretty much kaput (I think theyre called tambour)-any body out there repaired or replaced them? For those of us who believe in God, I think he's got a twisted sense of humour- been wanting one these trailers forever and since taking delivery two weeks ago its been snowing so havent been able to get out and polish it like I want to-oh well warmer weather will come.Did manage to paint the hitch and tanks but did them grey and they look awful, so will have to try aluminum if it stops snowing long enough.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

springville , Alabama
Fusion questions

Tammy,
Was the fusion process difficult? I have used it before on outdoor chairs but not inside. Also what about cleaning? Has it held up well for you. It looks really great!
Thanks!
Val J
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Good Choice-fix the doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtijewlr@tel
April 10-I'm a new 'streamer myself and have some work to do on my 72 TradeWind-the cupboard doors are all pretty much kaput (I think theyre called tambour)-any body out there repaired or replaced them? For those of us who believe in God, I think he's got a twisted sense of humour- been wanting one these trailers forever and since taking delivery two weeks ago its been snowing so havent been able to get out and polish it like I want to-oh well warmer weather will come.Did manage to paint the hitch and tanks but did them grey and they look awful, so will have to try aluminum if it stops snowing long enough.
Use your search function for tambour. There is a lot of information on repair (including a great photo guide, I will have to look for it again). I did some of mine last winter by more or less following the directions from that thread. There is also a lot of discussions on replacements and other options. Have fun, the Tambour is easy once you get everything set up.

Now for the good or bad part...I have a good idea of what an average unrestored AS 72 Tradewind is like. I have replaced the covers on the gouchos, repaired tambour doors, replaced the univolt and made it into a two gp 24 battery system. I hav also replaced the furnace...if your is original--bad news-- I think the originals were Suburban NT 22 or NT 24. Check with your search feature to be sure, or e-mail Andy at Inland, it was recalled about 20 years ago--don't use it. I have a repalcement water heatter to put in this summer after the new awning and a pair of axels....then I am still not done.

What I am saying is that these things, if cared for are so solid they outlast the appliances. 30+ years on an old style torsion axels was asking an awful lot. The new ones should make it even longer, I hope I am here to see those replaced. Make a good assesment of your project system by system, read up on old and new threads. I anticipate having a fully renovated (not restored) after three years of work. I only get to work on it on weekends and then only one or two half days on a week end. It has been a great hobby & look what you will have when done (a new one would cost 5 to 8 times what you will invest). On top of that you sort of get to know everything so maintenance is not much of a problem. I started by reriveting the belly pan, the replaced the univolt charger with something that won't boil my batteries. Next was upholstry and tambour, just get a project or two and follow it. See where it leads, Some have totally ripped the innards out and now have interesting interiors on them.

Before I sign off....welcome to the world of Airstreamers, make use of the expert advice you can get here,....oh and do not paint the trailer until you have read up on the techniques for painting Aluminum, you can make a real mess if it is done wrong.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Most interesting post on the sink and tub. My 73 is wanting some attenting there as well. Not horrible, just some staining and dull. Mine has a folding plexi glass door which I suspect was an add, but would be nice. Rail/track along the top edge of the tub is badly damaged however. In any case, this thread has a lot of good input.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Wink Been there....

Before we realized that we were going to have to remove the entire bathroom because of floor damage that was not immediately visible, I had already painted the sink and countertop. I used Krylon Fushion spray paint. It dries fast so many thin layers can be built up. The company says it can be handled in 24 hours and is chip resistant after 7 days.

That sink has been taken out, moved here, moved there, and reinstalled almost 9 months later and still looks as good as the day I painted it. And that's with the bull moose of a husband banging it around to get it back in the blankety blank position.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote