Old 06-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Post 1965 globe trotter tub/showerbase

I am looking for any type of curve fitting shower base/tub for my 1965 globetrotter. It was received by me totally gutted. I have some fixtures and parts that will no longer be useful to me but I need that shower base or some idea what could replace it. The interior will be totally custom and the unit will be solar powered enough to run the fridge and the air conditioner under most circumstances.
Could someone point me in the right direction?
Thank you,

sundork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member
65 Gt

Sorry I can not help you with your bath but was wondering if you have the water heater vent? I also have a 65 GT and am looking for a exterior vent for the water heater. Thanks

viners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

I see this is your first post, but you may have been reading the forum for a while. One tool that I didn't immediately pick up on was the "SEARCH" tool. If you try clicking SEARCH and entering "bathroom restoration" or "Globetrotter Bath" you may be amazed at how many threads you uncover. I'm sure you'll meet many fellow restorers who can help you out whether you want to do a "historical preservation/restoration" or want to customize blending newer materials and technology into a classic shell.

I have great respect for the people who do the Airstream Rescue - but I owned an old house and decided I needed a vacation from constant projects, so I bought a new one. It's all good.

Play with SEARCH - sometimes it takes three or four times to find what you want, but it's a goldmine when you do.

Oh, and if you have to build something from scratch, very few people realize you can get Corian (or other similar brands) in 1/4 inch thickness - useful for shower WALLS. It can be shaped easily in an oven at fairly reasonable heat - but it's generally not a do it yourself project - unless you own a restaurant and have a pizza oven! The base would need at least 1/2 inch with some reinforcing. The main worries would weight and cost. The main benefit is it will last forever and can be scrubbed! There are also NO seams to grow black mold or leak onto the floor.

Good luck on your project.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Welcome to the forums, sundork. I have a similar problem in my '66 GT because previous owner removed and discarded the shower pan. Finding or fabricating a replacement pan just might be mission impossible. I'm thinking of just adding an outdoor shower. See my thread:

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I hesitate to even mention this because it's not on my radar screen to deal with yet, but I may remove the bath/shower in our '63 GT at some point. This wouldn't be until we're sure that we're replacing it with something more modern, which would be a decision we'll face late this summer or next spring.

So don't get your hopes too far up, but I'd say that within a couple months there is a 50% chance I'll have a shower/bath available. (I also don't know if the differences between our years would matter.) And sorry Viners, I'm holding onto my Bowen cover for dear life!
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
It might not work in my '66, Brad, but keep me in mind when the time comes. Thanks.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote