Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Our 2005 Classic had a similar leak. I got in the shower with some caulk made for bathroom wet surfaces and caulked all the seams and that solved the water leak.

Dennis

Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Did you unscrew the whole trim and remove it then apply caulk?

Mine is a little deformed at the edges that rest on top of the fiberglass enclosure down at the bottom. Easy for water to get in through the bulges.

Kelvin

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Shower Leak in 2005 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Did you unscrew the whole trim and remove it then apply caulk?

Mine is a little deformed at the edges that rest on top of the fiberglass enclosure down at the bottom. Easy for water to get in through the bulges.

Kelvin
No, I just applied the caulk without taking anything apart.

Dennis
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I attacked my shower stall this weekend. I ended up taking the shower door off. Not hard, just a bunch of screws and the door comes off. The the channels the door fits in and finally the shower door threshold. I took off the plastic flashing too. Very lightly caulk and the there is a wide gap between the fiberglass stall and the exterior wood. I decide to fill the void with the spray foamy insulation.

I cleaned all the old caulk off the parts and then started back installing and caulking as I went. I found some biscuit or almond caulk that worked well and used clear to seal the dark brown shower door pieces. After it had cured I ran the same water test that caused water to pore out between the show frame and the floor and it passed the test. Hopefully I'll never have to mess with it again.

Kelvin
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Went out on a trip this weekend after making the show door leak repair but its still leaking after taking morning showers. It's 90% fixed as the water doesn't pour out the boot and run between the carpet strip and linoleum to the bathroom

I'm not sure where the leak is occurring. I removed the furnace vent on the front bedroom wall and from that hole I was able to see the shower drain. No leaking apparent from the shower drain and if there the water would not be able to drip onto the floor under the shower and run out to the hall way.

I took the wardrobe access panel behind the shower faucet and while the water was running I verified no leakage behind the faucet.

I have a moisture meter and testing the floor at the wardrobe next to the shower indicated no sign of moisture. As soon as I moved the meter probes along the floor below the shower door the meter started to register moisture. As I moved the meter along the base of the shower towards the bedroom and the carpet the moisture reading increased. I moved the meter around the shower corner on to the carpet. At the shower corner where the carpet and linoleum meet the moisture meter had its highest reading. Testing the carpet along the shower wall and bedroom carpet the meter measured drier conditions moving towards the trailer wall. So it appears water is getting behind the shower enclosure somehow through the shower door and wicking down on the inside shower wall to the floor behind the shower frame then weeping out to the hallway. Before I made the first repairs the water would run into the hallway. Now unless you are looking for it the water stays under the shower wood framework. If I place a paper towel along the base of the shower on the floor the towel wicks up the water from underneath to wood framework.

I'll let it dry out for the week and next weekend I'll retry the repair. I'll run the shower on the lower shower door area first on the wardrobe side when the door closes and then on the hinge area. Hopefully I can narrow down the area where the leak is and complete the repair successfully.

I wouldn't have thought this repair would be so difficult.

Kelvin
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hello Kelvin,
I find that ours drips water on the floor when you open the shower door
( solid type ) to step out. I keep a small squeegee in the shower and try to dry the door ( and walls) after use and that helps minimize the drips when you open the door. I keep an absorbent towel on the floor. Can I assume from your description that yours is different and not just a door drip like I have ???? So far, at least, I have no reason to suspect leakage from any other places with the shower.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kelvin it would be easier for us to follow and advise if you could keep it on one thread only.

doug k
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I know and I apologize but I figured not everyone would go to the Classic forums if they have a Flying Cloud or International and this issue affects them too. I hoping to get more responses.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Seems never ending

Kelvin

I bought my '05 Classic in May of '06...very slightly used. Since that summer I've done all the stuff to the shower you've talked about. I get water under the wood below the front of the shower and I also have water drip from the belly pan but only sometimes! I also get water in the outside compartment where the water connection and tank flushing connections are.

The dealership in Los Banos California worked on it, did some calking and changed out a valve in the water heater area. I thought that was the problem but it still leaks.

A few years ago when I had the Airstream at Inland RV for some other work I asked them to see if they could find any shower leaks...no luck...they couldn't find anything. I had the Airstream at C & G in Bellflower Ca and asked them to take a look for any leaks related to the shower and they re-caulked all the usual stuff. It seems to be O.K. for a while but I was wrong and it's still leaking.

I contacted Timeless Travel Trailers in Denver and asked for an estimate to have my shower removed and have them re-plumb and install one of their stainless steel showers...about $5000 if memory serves me...I'm still thinking about it.

I've had this Airstream 7 years this month and I'm sick of the shower situation. I REALLY love the layout of this trailer and it's a perfect size for me. I haven't decided for sure when but at some point I'm probably going to need the back half of the trailer rebuilt. I'm sure there will be some rot but short of ripping the bathroom and bedroom apart and starting over and doing in RIGHT, I don't know what else to do. I'm pretty handy and I can't find it, three different respected Airstream shops can't find it....to say I'm a little frustrated is an understatement!

I could buy another 30' Classic just like this one and it might not leak but I've got this one "tweaked" just the way I like it and I'm sure having a do over would be tons less than buying a new one.....o.k. I feel better now (taking deep breaths).

I'll continue to watch these shower postings hoping to hear something new.

Mike
Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Why don't you guys start eliminating possible leak locations one at a time. Start with a shower curtain on a compression bar over the door, so the entire door area does not get wet.

If it still leaks, seal the drain entirely not just the plug, with some plastic and tape, and take a shower. The water will pool inside the stall, but it will hold a lot before spilling over.

If it still leaks remove and seal or somehow cover the control handle and cover. Same with the shower head where it exits the wall.

If it still leaks, look carefully for cracks in the seal where the two stall pieces, and cracks in the stall itself.

If it still leaks, gain access to the drain under the stall, then the in-wall plumbing for the water supply.

Eliminate all possible sources, no matter how unlikely it seems. Take the easy ones first.

doug k
Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I've recaulked the the seam of the shower stall when I did my first repair because I thought it might be prudent.

I will try your tips this weekend on shower repair part deux. My plan of attack.

1. Remove bedroom furnace vent to gain access to shower drain P trap. Remove the access panel in the closet to the back of the faucet.
2. Check for moisture around the shower frame/hallway floor intersection with my meter and paper towels as a starting reference before I start troubleshooting.
3. Plug up the show pan and fill it up part way and see if I see any leaking from the shower P trap from the furnance vent hole. Check the paper towel for moisture wicking under the frame/floor intersection. I'm confident its not leaking but who knows.
4. Spray the shower stall all around but not on the door. Spray the faucet, shower head holding rod and towel rack. This should simulate a shower curtain scenario.

If there is no evidence of water leaking onto the floor then the issue is with the door frame/shower stall seal.
1. Spray the lower area of the door where it opens while closed and check the paper towels below on the frame/floor. I'll spray on the fiberglass stall so it redirects against the plastic flashing. I'll want to spray for at least a minute.
2. Spray the lower area of the door on the hinge side on the fiberglass stall. Check the paper towels on the floor.
3. Spray the corners directly.

I remember when I first noticed this issue just spraying the lower hinge threshold area resulted in a good stream of water along the hallway floor. After the first repair its a slow seep of a leak but its still a leak to get fixed. Not visably noticeable.

I can't be without my shower. Its one of my favorite things about an RV.

Kelvin
Old 05-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kelvin, I would zero in on this area first: "I remember when I first noticed this issue just spraying the lower hinge threshold area resulted in a good stream of water along the hallway floor. After the first repair its a slow seep of a leak but its still a leak to get fixed. Not visably noticeable."

doug k
Old 05-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
However, this past weekend it was noticing the paper towels picking up moisture at the opposite end of the shower where the floor and frame meet. Maybe the water is runnning down form the hinge side slowly.

I've caulked that lower hinge area so much, I'm ready to but a new tube of caulk. I can't believe its still leaking. Its almost like the water is running up hill to find a spot to get through.

Mike, if you are getting some external leaking from the belly pan maybe its the check valve for the black water flush. I had mine break the first time I used it and water pour out the belly pan in the area where the water hook up/black tank flush hookups are located.

Crazy problem.

Kelvin
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kelvin, you may have more than one shower leak. Maybe you fixed the stall leak, but there is another at the shower control valve, or the drain, or both, for example.

I think you have to consider this may not be the original shower stall, a new one was installed and never checked or used. That would account for the new sticker inside. Would be good to check the plumbing, as well as drain and control seals to see if they are there and not leaking.

doug k