Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Send a message via MSN to tmeagle1
Winterizing by-pass not working correctly

First I drained the water tank. Second I put a by-pass on both inlets of the hot water tank, it's an Atwood, newer tank (three-five years old). Third I put a by-pass on the water pump. Fourth, I turned the by-pass valves, both of them, on hot water tank to "by-pass" and when I pumped RV Antifreeze through the lines it still went into my hot water tank. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions, other than buying six gallons of anti freeze and fill the hot water tank with it to winterize the hot water lines, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tim Eagle

Dark Nest Travels : Blog (if you'd rather read our ramblings and history)
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Something sure sounds strange! When you say "I put a bypass" I presume you are saying that you installed valves where there were none? Maybe a picture of the piping arrangement you have installed might help.

If the valves are installed properly and set in the proper configuration, I don't see how it could fail to work - unless you have a defective valve!

If it is like the installation on my AS, There would be three valves associated with the HW tank bypass kit, an on/off valve on the line leading into the tank, another on the line coming out, and a third on/off valve installed on a bypass line connecting the in/out lines together.

To bypass the tank you would close both of the valves leading to and from the tank, and open the valve on the bypass line so-connecting the in & out lines together.

Do you have some other sort of arrangement?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Further to my last email on this subject, it occurred to me that perhaps instaed of using three on off valves, you may be using two three way valves to achieve the same end?

If this is so, you may simply have one of the valves turned the wrong way?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
I have three valves. One valve on the pump that draws antifreeze from the holding tank and two valves at the hot water tank. I think that maybe the valves on the holding tank could be defective, but did read that the hot water tank should be full of water before using the by-pass, does this sound right? If I can't get it to work this winter, I'll just buy six gallons of antifreeze to get it through the winter, no big deal. It was quite a pain with apprx. two inch clearance just to get the valves on the hot water tank. Thanks for the quick response.

Tim

Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
I'm sorry it draws antifreeze directly from the jug when I have the first valve on by-pass.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeagle1 View Post
I have three valves. One valve on the pump that draws antifreeze from the holding tank and two valves at the hot water tank. I think that maybe the valves on the holding tank could be defective, but did read that the hot water tank should be full of water before using the by-pass, does this sound right? If I can't get it to work this winter, I'll just buy six gallons of antifreeze to get it through the winter, no big deal. It was quite a pain with apprx. two inch clearance just to get the valves on the hot water tank. Thanks for the quick response.

Tim
Hi Tim, I can't think of any reason why the hot water tank should be full before operating bypass valves. Normally the first thing I do when i start to winterize our trailer is to pull the drain plug at the bottom of the water tank to drain it. To help it drain faster, I also open the spring loaded relief valve at the top of the tank so as to let air in and let it drain faster,

If you only have two valves at the water tank itself, not three as I have, then I think they must be three way valves.

Let me ask you this - did you have hot water this summer when you used the trailer? If so, then obviously the valves were in the right position at that time. You should have turned both valves to their respective second positions to winterize.

If you did that and still had water/antifreeze entering your hot water tank and leaking out the open drain plug then you must have a defective valve.

On the other hand, if you are only concerned because water came out of the sink and shower hot water taps when you had your pump sucking antifreeze - that is normal! That is what should happen when your hot water tank is bypassed!

Hope this isn't too confusing - easier to explain with diagrams than words!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
There are two types of water heater bypass kits.

One uses a one way valve for the water heater outlet and a selector valve to choose between feeding the water heater or a bypass line that goes up to a T on the bypass.

The other method uses selectors on both sides of the water heater. The trick here is to make sure you have them plumbed properly. They need to select between trailer lines or the bypass line between them.

If you are getting antifreeze into your tank, my first guess would be that the valves are not plumbed right.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote