Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Why is the water going there?

This is my first post...and first airstream. 1972 Tradewind Land yacht. When I run the water pump, all the water goes out the city water inlet fitting, and none out of the interior water users. Is ther something I need to turn off/on, or do I need to stopper the city inlet when not in use?

Thanks for you time and help.

Steve
Chatthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Steve, you are about to become more handy. There should be a check valve near the city water intake. It may be stuck, broken, or missing. Fix it and maybe you will be ok. Start buying a bunch of tools. And get some duct tape.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There should be a check valve in the city water inlet which prevents that from occurring. But if it is stuck, or has been removed by a previous owner, you will get the water issue you mention.

For a temporary fix, plug the city water inlet. For a real solution, you will need to look for the check valve, see if it is there, if so replace it. If not put one in. It should be between the city inlet and the pressure regulating valve, which is a dome like device about 5 inches high and 4 inches around. The check valve will look like a piece of brass pipe, about 2" long, and will have an arrow on it indicating flow direction. This all assumes you can see the parts. On some Airstreams they are buried so deep in the undersides of closets etc, they are almost impossible to even find, say nothing about see or replace.

In the 40 years since your trailer was built, who knows what the previous owners have done. It may be time to think about a newer plumbing replacement system.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Thanks

It was the check valve/regulator unit. I replaced it with brass on/off fittings, and will use a standard RV pressure regulator when using city water.

It is amazing how much info and help is available on the forums.

Thanks,

Steve
Chatthayer is offline   Reply With Quote