Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Forlì , Italy
Where is the water pump?

Hi America, here Italy!!!
I have an other problem.!
I' d read that the water pump is located under the refrigerating, but in my motorhome I see the water pressure reducing valvesand 1 hose break but there isn't the water pump.
I attached the photo.....Maybe it's absent??
Can I help me
Thanks , ciao,
Cesare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6038.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	161953  
Gocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The placement of the pump varies from unit to unit.

The best way to find it is to disconnect from city water and turn on a faucet and lessen for the pump. It is under there somewhere and your ears are the best way to find it. I am assuming you have water in the fresh water tank for this experiment.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
That blue thing looks to be a strainer, so you're probably not far off. That black pipe is probably going to it in one direction or the other.
Unless that's old and it just sitting there next to the new piping.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
That blue thing looks to be a strainer, so you're probably not far off. That black pipe is probably going to it in one direction or the other.
Unless that's old and it just sitting there next to the new piping.
Agreed, the blue thing is a strainer. It looks to me like it is attached to the hose that runs to a coupling not attached to anything. See the red circle on the attached photo. That's where it would be connected to the water pump. It even looks like the right connector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6038_vw.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	161971  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Agreed, the blue thing is a strainer. It looks to me like it is attached to the hose that runs to a coupling not attached to anything. See the red circle on the attached photo. That's where it would be connected to the water pump. It even looks like the right connector.
You have a water pump thief in your midst!
I had the thought that the black pipe is old and not in use because of that open ended pipe and that new PEX.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Forlì , Italy
thank you very much for these answers.!!!
tomorrow morning I'll buy the water pump and then I attached photo.
But now after Napoli and Venezia I watch the America's Cup from New Port....
Thanks ,
Cesare
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cesare,

The blue thing with the red top may be a bypass kit to run antifreeze through the water lines. It may have a lever on the backside to open and close the bypass. If the red part is a cap, there may be a screen in there. There should be some tubing to attach to the top after the cap is removed and the other end goes into a jug of antifreeze; the pump sucks it into the water lines.

The connection on the bottom right was probably attached to the water pump. Perhaps a previous owner never boondocked and used city water all the time. He also replaced some of the water lines and left some of the old. The bypass kit would be close to the pump, so I suspect the pump used to be there. Before attaching a pump, figure out where the lines go because the plumbing is not all original and surprises may happen.

I'm not sure what the brass stuff is in the back, perhaps a one-way valve to separate city and fresh water tank water.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Cesare,

The blue thing with the red top may be a bypass kit to run antifreeze through the water lines. It may have a lever on the backside to open and close the bypass. If the red part is a cap, there may be a screen in there. There should be some tubing to attach to the top after the cap is removed and the other end goes into a jug of antifreeze; the pump sucks it into the water lines.
The blue thing in the back is a strainer, as previously identified. If you enlarge the image, you can see that the red part is a label on a clear cap. You can even read ITT and JABSCO at the lower right. The clear cap lets you see if the screen is getting clogged without removing the cap. The cap does unscrew for cleaning though.

Quote:
The connection on the bottom right was probably attached to the water pump. Perhaps a previous owner never boondocked and used city water all the time. He also replaced some of the water lines and left some of the old. The bypass kit would be close to the pump, so I suspect the pump used to be there. Before attaching a pump, figure out where the lines go because the plumbing is not all original and surprises may happen.

I'm not sure what the brass stuff is in the back, perhaps a one-way valve to separate city and fresh water tank water.

Gene
The large brass thing in the back with the screw at the top is the water pressure regulator. Factory installed in Airstreams, but not RV specific. Available at hardware and plumbing supply stores too. The brass part ahead of it with the hose leading through the floor is a high pressure relief valve. In the event the pressure gets too high, it will allow water to exit through the floor via the hose.

As Gene mentioned, there should also be a one-way valve, a check valve, to prevent city water from forcing its way into the pump system, but I don't see one in the photo. Actually, there is only one of the pump connecting hoses in the photo. There has to be another. It may have been removed with the pump, though.

It is common to connect the water pump to the plumbing using flexible hose to prevent vibrations and noise being transferred from the pump to the plumbing. However that black hose does not look correct. It is common to use pieces of food grade tubing or, more commonly, pieces of white drinking water hose like you use when connecting the trailer to city water. That keeps the hose from transferring strange tastes to the water. The black hose is fine for the drain through the floor.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Vaughan,

I was brain dead when I thought that was a one way valve; looks just like a pressure regulator. The strainer looks a lot like the antifreeze bypass kit I have in mine, but maybe my brain death is getting worse.

Gene
Old 07-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Vaughan,

I was brain dead when I thought that was a one way valve; looks just like a pressure regulator. The strainer looks a lot like the antifreeze bypass kit I have in mine, but maybe my brain death is getting worse.

Gene
Hi Gene,

It's easier to recognize the strainer if you a) blow up the image like did when I drew the red circle, and/or b) have one just like it (like I do). When you zoom in, you can even see the screen behind the red label. OK, it's a little hard to see, it is approaching the limit of the focus of the photo.

As far as the brain death, it's probably from exposure to aluminum.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
As far as the brain death, it's probably from exposure to aluminum.
You mean I shouldn't lick it?

Gene
Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
You mean I shouldn't lick it?

Gene
I think you can lick it OK, just don't snort the powder.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Forlì , Italy
So, which is the solution.???
Why there are two hoses in the thak?
Can you help me? I wait aswer at the 3questions and I attach two photos.
Thanks,
Cesare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6061a.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	162449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6048.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	162450  

Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Cesare,

I'm afraid that we may have a little language issue here. I will do the best I can to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocart View Post
So, which is the solution.???
I'm not sure what you are asking here, so these are my best guesses.

You are missing the water pump.

The blue thing is the strainer. It is located in the hose from the water tank to the pump.

Quote:
Why there are two hoses in the thak?
I am assuming that "thak" in the prior sentence should be "tank". Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to that. So the answer to your first question in the photo "1) What I do with it? What I attach in there?" is again, I don't know. Some trailers had a way to fill the fresh tank via a connection from the city water controlled by a valve often near the pump instead of using the external fill cap. It's possible that there was one of these connections that was removed when the white plastic fittings were put in. For now, I would simply close off that connection. You can always fill the tank from the external cap.

Quote:
Can you help me? I wait aswer at the 3questions and I attach two photos.
Thanks,
Cesare.
Question Two: "2) Is this hose I attached the water pump???" Yes. It connects to the intake or suction side of the water pump. The pump sucks water from the fresh water tank through this hose. The blue strainer keeps anything that might find its way into the tank, like a blade of grass or something like that, from getting to the pump.

Question Three: "3)...and These two cables, I use for water pump??" That looks correct. One should be 12 volt positive, and the other ground (earth). They attach to a pressure switch on the water pump itself. It switches the pump off when a certain pressure is reached by the pump. It also means that the pump won't come on when the system is pressurized by connection to city water. (So when you get one installed, don't be concerned that you can't hear it come on when you are connected to the city water)

I still don't see the check valve we talked about earlier. The check valve keeps water from flowing backwards out of your trailer from the inlet for the city water when you pressurize the system using the pump. (There are other designs and sources for check valves, the link is for illustration. They are not expensive either.)

I also don't see any connection to the cold water system for the pump. (The water line from the brass pressure regulator in the picture and the one you posted earlier. This is also the connection to city water.)

I have marked up your latest photo with suggestions for the check valve and the pump attachments. Another T fitting in the cold water pipes where I indicated would do nicely to attach the pressure line from the pump.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6061a_vw.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	162460  
Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Forlì , Italy
sorry for my language,...thak - tank etc etc
Thanks again for the answer
now it's all right!
all the best
cesare
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
sorry for my language,...thak - tank etc etc
Thanks again for the answer
now it's all right!
all the best
cesare
Glad we could help! I was assuming that was a typo.

As far at the language goes, I was concerned that Gene and I joking about licking the aluminum may have confused the issue. Since it really had nothing to do with the topic. We do like to have fun on this forum and can stray off topic occasionally.

Keep us informed on your progress, please.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cesare, your English is far, far better than I can do in any other language. Good luck with your water pump.

I have stopped licking the aluminum. I realize it was a youthful mistake.

Gene
Old 07-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Cesare, your English is far, far better than I can do in any other language. Good luck with your water pump.

I have stopped licking the aluminum. I realize it was a youthful mistake.

Gene