Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
What is this wire for?

I am overhauling a 66 Overlander. On the front left corner next to, what I assume to be, the TV antenna bracket, is a wire with a plug on it. I thought at first it was some sort of antenna connection and was going to remove it, but then I noticed the other end of the wire had the same connector which fits the water pump. Is there a reason I would want to power the water pump from outside? It's not original as it looks to be made from an old extension cord. I'm still planning on removing it unless someone can find a reason for me to keep it.

Thanks for any help, TomE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0141.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	158958  
project66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
PO's do things that get lost in time. Just remove it...grin.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I have a 67 Tradewind International with a TV ant. My mount looks nothing like your picture. I suspect that if it is a TV ant mount it is not OEM. Nor does mine have the wire through the wall. You have my permission to remove it...hehe.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
2nd question

Just curious. Do some campgrounds have TV hookups, and if so, what kind of connector do I need and where is the best place to put it? As fast as technology changes, I'm not sure I'm going to put any kind of TV antenna or hookup and just live with a portable DVD player or laptop with 3G or 4G.

TomE
Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by project66 View Post
Just curious. Do some campgrounds have TV hookups, and if so, what kind of connector do I need and where is the best place to put it? As fast as technology changes, I'm not sure I'm going to put any kind of TV antenna or hookup and just live with a portable DVD player or laptop with 3G or 4G.

TomE
Many campgrounds do, and they use a coax cable connection just like cable tv. Or, you can use an antenna and try any over-the-air digital that might be in the area... in which case you need a digital converter, or TV that has one built in.

You can also run a portable satellite into the coax if your trailer is wired.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
On the front of my 68 by the original antenna rotor there was a fitting where the 300 ohm twin lead entered the trailer. I removed it and made plate with a bulkhead F type cable TV connector. Since I have my TV on the curb side, I ran cable all the way around the back of the trailer and up thru the cabinets. If I am at a campground with cable (few and far between), I just hook it there. If I use my portable antenna on the mast I plug it in there. The old rotator works and I wanted to keep things as original as I could.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Are there other wires at the pump, as in the other wires feed the pump and the PO just tapped into power at that spot. Then could it have been a flag holder and a 12v power for a light to shine on the flag?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The connector looks like it has flat antennae wire (i.e., the old 300 ohm stuff) on the back of it. If that's true, then it's probably where the antennea was connected, and then it runs into the trailer. It might have once been used at campgrounds for TV hookup before the days of coax.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Are there other wires at the pump, as in the other wires feed the pump and the PO just tapped into power at that spot. Then could it have been a flag holder and a 12v power for a light to shine on the flag?
I was thinking the same thing.

See if you have 12 volts between the two positions on the plug.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
more questions

The other end of this wire (also with a female plug) just lays inside near the water pump. When you unplug the water pump this wire ataches to the pump side of the plug, not the power side. For some reason, the PO must have had a need to power the water pump from outside? The TV antenna wire is the old flat style and is a couple feet above the bracket. Since it has been so long since I gutted the interior, is there a on/off switch located somewhere for the water pump? And what is the best way to plug the hole (about 3/4 inch) from the old TV antenna that won't look silly?

TomE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0294.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	159069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0296.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	159070  

Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
That most certainly is the flux capacitor hookup. Should time travel be a part of your destination plans you should keep the wire in place.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote