Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
WH drain plug- winterizing???

Each season when I go about the routine of winterizing the AS, the biggest pain is getting to and undoing the fragile nylon drain plug from the WH. Last year I decided to try something different.

I opened all four low point valves, opened faucets inside AS, opened preasure relief valve on WH to help reduce vacuum. I noticed much more water pouring out than the couple of gallons that might be in the plumbing.

At this point I wanted to see if just doing that would be enough draining from the water heater with out having to remove the plug.

After I did this, I did then remove the plug just to check to see if there was water left in the tank, and when I took the plug out, no water came out out!

So this left me concluding that if you open all the low point valves, faucetts, and the preasure relief, that just might be enough to not have to bother with remove the WH drain plug.

I then blow out the lines, close reief valve and by-pass water heater, and anti-freeze plumbing.

Not having to deal with that drain plug would sure be a time saver and alot less hassle.

Anyone else try this method?

Jonathan
Old 10-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
will open that relief valve tomorrow and see if any more water drains out- seems like a logical idea to me.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
I did the same as you did (by mistake mind you, It was the first time draining for me) When I got to actually reading the AS manual I saw that I needed to open the WH plug. Same here, no water came out. I think we're on to something. Or?
Blog
WyoRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
I usually drain my water heater by pulling out the nylon plug at the bottom of the tank. I usually put 1/2 gal of antifreez in the tank in case there was any water left in the tank. This year I found that there is water left in the tank after draining it with the drain plug. I put a plastic tube into the tank and was able to siphon out water from the bottom of the tank. At a minimum I would follow Airstream instructions and pull the plug as a new water heater runs around $509.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
The water that is left in the tank after draining is not enough to do any damage. But you should also hose it out forcefully with a hose attachment that allows you to insert it into the tank through the drain hole. This will force sediments out of the tank.(scale from hard water)
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Did pretty much the same thing today, but when I did remove the plug and open the pressure relief valve at least a gallon came out.

Plan two, Get a brass plug with an extension adaptor. I say that every October.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
First of all, I do not winterise my trailer because of where I live. I do drain the water heater if I am not going to use the trailer for more then a couple of weeks. Pulling the nylon plug is a piece of cake. I use a folding lug wrench which fits the plug perfectly. I also have a few spare plugs in the trailer, just in case.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
First of all, I do not winterise my trailer because of where I live. I do drain the water heater if I am not going to use the trailer for more then a couple of weeks. Pulling the nylon plug is a piece of cake. I use a folding lug wrench which fits the plug perfectly. I also have a few spare plugs in the trailer, just in case.

You lucky, could never get to our's with that bad boy.

Like most cars...over engineered and poorly designed
Old 10-21-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On my old SOB I'd pull the anode to drain the tank. So where is the anode on an AS water heater?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
On my old SOB I'd pull the anode to drain the tank. So where is the anode on an AS water heater?
Wayne&Sam,
There is no anode rod on factory installed AS water tanks unless you have replaced the factory water heater with one that does have an anode rod.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
After breaking the nylon plug on a trip last January, I left the campsite and went to The Home Depot to purchase a brass plug to replace the nylon. When Winterizing I just leave the plug out so that any residual water can expand upon freezing.

You may wish to either purchase or make a wand with which to flush out the minerals that collect in the bottom of the water heater tank. You'll be surprised how much crud collects there that can eventually corrode the bottom of the tank causing failure. The wand can be purchased at any good Airstream dealer or Camping World.

BTW, it's a really good idea to hook up a hose to the bottom drain of your home water heater and drain it on an annual basis to remove the minerals and prevent failure there as well.

My two cents worth.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Robert Cross and ZoominC6 mention a brass water heater plug. Won't the two dissimilar metals cause a corrosion problem or is brass inert?

Also can anybody point me to the gizmos / wands that people have mentioned to remove the scale from the inside of the water heater tank.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Robert Cross and ZoominC6 mention a brass water heater plug. Won't the two dissimilar metals cause a corrosion problem or is brass inert?

Also can anybody point me to the gizmos / wands that people have mentioned to remove the scale from the inside of the water heater tank.
Here is a link to the flushing tool at Camping Word.

Tank Saver Flushing Tool - Item - Camping World
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post

This is the style air/water spray gun I use to flush the hot water tank. It's easy to adapt an extension to reach inside the tank.
Its also handy for cleaning the dump valves and black water tank.

Guardair Corporation - Water Jet Cleaning Guns - Product Info

I use a brass plug with a little teflon tape on the threads, keeps it snug and allows for easy removal.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I did this winterizing project just last night.
The nylon plug is easy to remove. I just use a socket, extension and ratchet. Be gentle on that plug.
I cleaned the existing water out of the bottom of the tank with a siphon gun on the end of my air compressor. Sucked the tank out almost dry!
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote