Old 10-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
Waterpump Woes - THIS. THINGS. LOUD.

Back story - 2015 Eddie Bauer -

Water Pump (original) was a FloJet (model 03626500). It was so loud when I first got it that I purchased a thick (computer) mouse pad, lifted the pump and placed the mouse pad (closed cell foam) under it and re-secured it to the floor. Still Loud.

Had the unit into Jackson Center back in June for some road debris damage repair and asked the Service Manager to sit on the couch while I flushed the toilet. Asked him to imagine his children trying to sleep while flushing this toilet. Literally sounded like a long roll on a 36" concert bass drum! So freaking loud.

So, they tried isolating some pipes, etc. Still Loud.

Next trip out, starting having challenges where the pump would suddenly decide to stop running. I'd have to open the access door where the pump resides and smack the thing and it'd start up again.

Called Airstream and they sent me a new pump but this pump is larger (twice the size) and not a FloJet but a SureFlo (Model 4048-153-A75). I was successful at installing it. I was encouraged because it had much more robust rubber "nipple" feet and I still placed it on the closed cell mouse pad.

When I turned the pump on at the switch, ... it started and was hardly noticeable, but as soon as I turned a faucet on, back to the LOUD. This thing is louder than my 1.5 HP Pool pump on my swimming pool.

What gives? Is it air in the lines? I even went so far as to place insulation on the inside of the access door where the pump lives but it is still loud.

Surely there has to be a fix.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Dendy

2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Since it happened with two different pumps, it sounds like water hammer to me. You can do a searich on RV sites and find many tales of it and various fixes.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
The water lines are vibrating against something, trace the pipes and see if you can find where the lines are up against something causing noise.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Hot Water Tank as Accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Since it happened with two different pumps, it sounds like water hammer to me. You can do a searich on RV sites and find many tales of it and various fixes.
I had a similar problem and was advised that this can occur if the normal air bubble at the top of the hot water tank is missing. This can happen while travelling if the air is displaced with water. Draining some water from the hot water tank will restore the air bubble (similar to an accumulator) and eliminate the water hammer.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If the pump is not directly mounted to the floor but rather on a shelf (as mine is), make sure the shelf is securely fastened. Mine was loose and doing a couple of screws make a big difference.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Do the PEX lines run all the way to the pump, or are there flexible hoses for the last couple of feet?

As the responses above indicate, it's usually vibration induced into the water pipes that amplifies the noise.

They make a pump silencing kit (Sureflo, I think) that consists of two flex hoses. I bought one of those from Amazon, and the pump is indeed much quieter. If you have enough access to install it, this kit is fairly inexpensive and worth a try.

Also, you might install an accumulator somewhere in the water system. These "store" pressure and therefore the pump runs less often.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The pump will never be silent.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It sounds like you've got air in the water lines someplace. Sometimes the only way to get rid of this is to run the pump for a long time by leaving a faucet open for more than is typical under normal use. At a full hookup campground or in your driveway, fill the fresh water tank and then run the kitchen and/or bathroom sink continuously to see if the knocking stops. It may take a half tank or more of fresh water to get this done.

Also, the step to let some water out of the hot water tank that was previously mentioned is a good idea.

Unless you have something very unusual going on, the two steps above should clear the issue.

Note that the pump is never silent but then the air is out of the water lines it should sound more like a purring sound rather than a news helicopter hovering overhead.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
a news helicopter hovering overhead.
This! ^
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
My pillow was right above the water pump where I slept in our trailer when I was growing up (I've since graduated to the "big bed"). Imagine how much that pump ran with 6 people living in the trailer + the occasional bump a water pump does to keep pressure up. I remember loving it when we could hook to city water ...
Old 10-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We had exactly the same issue with our 20ft in 2007. A/S sent me a new pump and I also put the silencing kit in, all to no avail until I noticed that there were a couple of drains under the trailer that I had not purged. Seemed like every time we moved camp, if I got the rattling noises, all I had to do was turn the pump on and give a quick turn on and off to purge and the noise stopped.
I do the same thing on our 25 now whenever I get the loud pump noise. For some reason it doesn't happen as often but when it does I use the drains between the roadside wheels.

George
Old 10-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The pump will never be silent.

You got that right. The water pumps on both on our Airstream and boat sound the same, loud. I kind of like it, it lets me know its working properly. It murmurs.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Mine is far from what I call noisy. Sure it makes a ltitle noise, but is not enough that I consider it bothersome.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
On my trailer the water hammer effect through the pipes was what was making the most noise. I added an Accumulator and it was WAY better (less pump running and pump is quieter when running)

On my new trailer (1972 Streamline) I might put in two accumulators, just cuz.

Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote