Old 10-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
When on 120 volt power hookup, the RPM is faster and ours is only noisy. It will make a difference, when on battery power.

When on your trailer's Batteries, the noise increases as the voltage declines. Our former 2006 23 foot Safari and our current 2014 25 foot International sounded alike. There will be no mistake your water pump is running, inside the trailer or nearby when outside.

When you have air in the lines, the pump will 'burp' and shut down to maintain pressure. Eventually you will use what ever water line the air is moving through the system and the 'burping' will end. Yeah...

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #16

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
A few things we did to address water pump noise.

1) Added flexible hoses on the inlet and supply side of the pump. Airstream sells these kits, so do most RV supply stores. The flexible hoses look much like white water hose.

2) Installed a new pump. You've already done this. For us, this change made the most difference.

3) As an ongoing issue we sometimes have to do the following procedure (based on information obtained from Airstream). A) Turn off the water pump. B) Open all the faucets - turn on both hot and cold if so equipped - or put the faucet in the warm/center position to bleed both hot and cold lines. C) allow the water from the faucets to slow to a trickle. D) Turn on the pump and allow water to flow freely from all faucets. E) Begin turning the faucets off, starting at the farthest point from the pump and working your way to closest to the pump.

As odd as number 3 might sound it works well for us. We typically have to perform this procedure if we've used water but forgotten to turn on the pump. I think this allows air to enter the system and when we finally remember to turn on the pump it's louder than usual.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This is how Andrew Thomson at Can-Am RV fixes loud water pumps, apparently some Shur Flo pumps are louder than others (which would account for the different experiences in this thread), so they put in Flojet Quad valve pumps to replace the troublesome ones. From an earlier thread on noisy water pumps:

"We find the Shur Flo pumps to be very inconsistent in noise level. Some are quite good and others are terrible. On about half of the Airstreams we deliver we change the pump to a Flojet Quad valve pump. This pump is much quieter. It also has a bypass valve in it so at partial water flows the pump runs continuously and delivers smooth pressure output. It is by far the easiest fix for a loud pump.

Andrew T
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario"
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Noisy Pump

Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Since it happened with two different pumps, it sounds like water hammer to me. You can do a searich on RV sites and find many tales of it and various fixes.
I had a similar situation and found the Shurflo air tank for $30 from Amazon quieted things down quite a bit. It is much better than buying new pumps.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We put in a Shur Flo accumulator for other reasons, the water pump noise will still shake you teeth out. It's been that way since new, over five years I've waiting for it to break so I can put in a new Flo Jet Quad with the bypass valve.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My new pump,

With the addition of the quite hose kit it is so quite I have to open the cabinet door to hear it.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I recently replaced with the same pump (revolution). It's quieter, but I can clearly hear it through the cabinet door. I call it acceptable noise now. I really like the performance though with its constant water flow.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
new hose

On my 2014 serenity 28' the Shurflo pump is under the refrigerator. Not bad access, I have seen worse. Cleaned up all the sawdust and stripped wire. cleaned up that rats nest of wires and pex. Its the area where the Micropulse send their four lines to the tanks, twelve volt power goes by here to the fridge, and coax to the TV's pass through and power to the rear bedroom. Various water lines and the heater air ducts pass by. Labeled everything and routed it neat. I hate chaos in the service area.

I added the Shurflow hoses to my pump. Coiled them around with the exit from the pump and put that foam hose wrap insulation on them, on the pex tubes they connect to. I added the foam hose insulation on every pex line I could find.

I put new rubber feet on that pump, rubber bushings I had left over from various shocks absorbers I had installed /removed from previous automobiles owned. That made a difference.
I have one of those Shurflo extreme series , 5.0 GPM pumps. The pex connectors from the factory on both sides of the pump were doing me no favors, 90 degree turns immediately inlet and outlet. You could hear it outside the trailer. Replaced all that with hose.

Fast forward two years, pumps leaking , so I am going to replace the pump. They don't make the 'extreme' series now, its called 'High Flow'
( whatever) . I don't think I need 5.0 GPM may try that 'Revolution series from Shurflow, 3.5 gpm, maybe quieter still
I think silencing these things is just trial and error, re-try.
I made Shurflo pump on my old Outback travel Trailer quiet, I had like 15-20 feet of coiled hose, and a sound proof chamber lined with Egg crate foam.
May do that here, LOL
safe travels

Ra, Chelle & Natasha
For my next trick, I will use my new Airstream & Dodge Ram 2500 CTD to make this pile of money disappear.
Tyvekcat is offline   Reply With Quote