Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
ellenwall

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Shawano , Wisconsin
Water Softener anyone?

We have a 2007 27' Safari SE FB. During spring/summer/fall, we plan to camp on a lot we purchased in Wisconsin that has extremely hard water. Should we worry about corrosion? Are there water softeners available for RVs that do the trick, and would it be worthwhile?
ellenwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Can't say I've shopped for RV water softeners, but for a fixed location like that you might be better off getting a stationary home-type one for the lot. Do you have a pumphouse, or any kind of piped water system on this lot? If so, you can probably get a better softener for a fraction of the price of something mobile. Make a decent semi-permanent installation and take it when you leave for the season. If you're dipping up stream water and funneling it into the trailer tank, never mind.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
We've been wondering about a water softener also.... Is there such a thing as an "in-line" softener that could be installed to use just for the shower??? Or is this a pipe dream?? We full time from October til June and run into some really hard water sometimes.

Any thoughts??

Thanks... Phil & Edee
Old 10-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have a water softener in my home (Phoenix has very hard water). I doubt it could be adapted well to a trailer. Periodicly (weekly for me) the resin tank must be rinsed with salt water to remove the "hardness" that it has collected. This requires many gallons of water and takes about an hour to complete. Most softeners use salt which then makes the water good to drink if you are on a low sodium diet. We use a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i'm poe.

anything for less than $1,000 bux?

broke in simi valley
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We just bought an in-line softener today from our A/S dealer. Three models of varying capacities (before re-charging the salt) were available for $99-$389. We went with the smallest one, which can soften 75-200 gallons before needing to be re-charged. Re-charging sounds simple; table salt is mixed with water and left to sit in the softener for four hours using a 4' drinking water hose to cap both ends. The smallest unit is not a great deal larger than an in-line water filter.

I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I can look if anyone's interested. It's not A/S-specific, but a local A/S owner is a distributor, and our A/S dealer began carrying them through him.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I wonder if those stainless steel water softeners would work that mobile detail shops use on their trailers. I see tham on little carts on car lots as well.
Where's my google link...
Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
[QUOTE=Midamrail]

I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I can look if anyone's interested.

This sounds exactly like what I had in mind! I'd appreciate more info when you find it! Thanks.

Edee
Old 10-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
I went out to the storage building and checked. It's a Day-Trip 75 by Amerisoft Water. Their website is Amerisoft-Water Softeners

The other larger, more complex systems will not require regeneration as often as the Amerisoft unit, but we liked the portability, simplicity, and cost of the Amerisoft. And we figured if we can't find a few minutes every third or fourth day to regenerate it while we're camping, we're too busy while we're camping!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Wow, I did not know that they made them that small, the one in my house is a monster. The resin tank is a hundred+ pounds and the brine tank (for regen) can hold up to 300 pounds of salt. It looks like you need to pull the unit to do a regen on it. Do you carry seperate water for drinking or do you drink the soft water?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
One more question.... ?? Will the minimal salt effect the holding tanks??
Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenwall
We have a 2007 27' Safari SE FB. During spring/summer/fall, we plan to camp on a lot we purchased in Wisconsin that has extremely hard water. Should we worry about corrosion? Are there water softeners available for RVs that do the trick, and would it be worthwhile?
You don't need to worry about corrosion. Water wants to be hard and will pick up that hardness anywhere it can. From limestone or other mineral that it flows through or from your copper pipes if it can not get it elsewhere. Soft water is corrosive, hard water is not. However you may want to use a water softener for other reasons, soft water cleans better. I like the idea of one that you regenerate manually as listed in a previous post. Shouldn't have to worry about the sodium as the unit is rinsed after regeneration. BTW sodium is not the problem, lack of drinking enough water is the culprit. My 0.02
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Any Updates on Water Softeners?

I know this is an old thread the but the topic is on my mind after a recent trip where we encountered some very hard water.

I'm considering the FlowPur Mark 8000. I've heard good things on this forum and others regarding WetSpot but it's over 3X the price of FlowPur. For the amount of water we use in the trailer I think the FlowPur system would work and we'd only need to recharge a 3 - 4 times a year.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I know this is an old thread the but the topic is on my mind after a recent trip where we encountered some very hard water.

I'm considering the FlowPur Mark 8000. I've heard good things on this forum and others regarding WetSpot but it's over 3X the price of FlowPur. For the amount of water we use in the trailer I think the FlowPur system would work and we'd only need to recharge a 3 - 4 times a year.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Lucius
We Bought the FlowPur ark 8000 and have been on the road for 2 1/2 months now. It has been great. We shower every day in the coach and I haven't had to recharge it yet. I don't know if it is as easy as claimed but I'll find out one of these days.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote