Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
water pumps

any thoughts on what make/model water pump is the quietest, most reliable?
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loft47 View Post
any thoughts on what make/model water pump is the quietest, most reliable?
The best, most reliable and quietest if made by Jabsco.

But it is also the most expensive.

They are known to last 30 to 40 years.

Andy
t1
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
What about Shurflo? I need to replace mine too. Looks like I have the Jabsco model, which seems like it would be an easier switch out. But I see more and more people installing the Shurflo Extreme Series. It's half the price of the Jabsco? Thoughts?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
What about Shurflo? I need to replace mine too. Looks like I have the Jabsco model, which seems like it would be an easier switch out. But I see more and more people installing the Shurflo Extreme Series. It's half the price of the Jabsco? Thoughts?
There are repair kits available for your original water pump, that should make it last another 30 years or more. The kits are not cheap, but more than likely, in the same 30 year period, you will need to but several Shurflo's, which will cost more than the kits. At least with the kits, you also have a quiet pump. Not so, with the Shurflo.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I installed a variable-flow model - it doesn't use a pressure switch, and runs at different speeds depending on how much you open a faucet...fairly quiet, as well, depending on how well you insulate the mounts...

Several Mfg's make these variable-flow models...I got ours from West Marine, it's their house brand, but is probably made by one of the major 12 volt water pump mfg'ers, Jamsco, Sur-flo, etc...

The one problem I've had with 'rebuilding' older pumps, is with the electric motor itself - sure you get the wearable pump parts with the rebuild kit - but the motors do wear out as well; bushings, commutators, and carbon brushes - and by the time you have to invest in a complete motor, along with the rebuild kit, you might as well purchase a whole new pump to update your system...IMHO
Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Both of our trailers have Shurflo "Whisper King" pumps. Work well and are nearly silent when installed with a loop in the outlet hose.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Anyone else have some pump recommendations?

I just got back from my maiden voyage and had the horrible experience. I had to manually cycle from full hot to full cold as best I could stand it to finish. Any less pressure as a middle and mix position would cause jackhammering and minimal water pressure. What's up with that? Anyway DH thinks replacement would be a good choice for quiet operation and perhaps a few other beneficial upgrades to newer models. Ours is a 2004 built in 2003, not sure off hand the model pump installed. Sink baths were in order after that sequential scald/freeze diving in a cold lake after sauna type experience.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote