Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2003, 08:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Water pump won't prime???

76 Excella 31 ft.

Much difficulty getting water to flow to faucets, currently have none.

The clear plastic strainer cover doesn't show any water present. On the occasions that have gotten flow, the air never completely empties from the cover.

My guess is an air leak associated with the strainer, or the suction hose to tank. Plan to temporarily replace the strainer with a pipe nipple, see if can get flow. If not, what is the difficulty of replacing the hose to the tank?

Have removed the pump, dissassembled, cleaned and inspected, nothing noteworthy observed, but who knows?

Other ideas?
roessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:09 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Valves

Confucious say "you must close all valves in system".

Airstreams are equiped with drain valves. All drains must be closed to pressurize and prime the system.

They are almost always at the underside of the galley and often at the rear compartment.

Some folks install bypass valves for the water heater and there is a drain at the water heater.

My water city connection will flow with water when the pump is running. I have a cutoff valve at the city water connection that has to be closed.

Long story short, check all valves and insure that they are closed.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Have previously checked your several suggestions, nothing awry there.

As stated in my original post, there is strong indication that am not getting water from the tank to the pump, and looking for ideas on how to diagnose/correct.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:08 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I had a similar problem. I found the feed line coming through the floor from the tank had rubbed against the floor and had a rather large hole worn through.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:42 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Rayconk
Unhappy water pump wont prime,

I have had a similar problem, one way to check out the supply line is to gently pressurize the supply tank by chinking a cloth around the hose while filling the tank and have the pump running, once you get water at one of the faucets, remove the fill hose and if your pump looses its prime you either need to replace the pump or you have an air leak between the pump and the tank. -- good luck. do not apply exessive pressure to tank, as they are not designed for that.
Rayconk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Problem solved !!??

I removed the suction-line strainer, sucked on the hose from the tank and got water to my mouth; therefore no problem with that part.

Next used a short piece of pipe to replace the strainer, fastening in the line with hose clamps.

Started the pump, after 20-30 seconds began getting flow from a faucet on the sink. Pump shut off when closed the faucet, started when opened faucet, and so on, all as it should. Success, I think!!!!!!

Examiining the strainer, dissassembling and cleaning, didn't determine any problem with it. I suspect the cover was just not properly and sufficiently seated on the base o-ring, plan to re-install it and see what my experience is.

Thanks for your responses.

Ramon