Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Water pump wiring question

Hey all. Long time since I've posted anything. Now that it's spring, the Airstream is back in the driveway, and we continue making it better, one demolition at a time.

In removing the counter, I discovered that the old water pump behind the stove was still there, even after the dealer installed a new one in 2009. (It was tricky to get to, so I certainly don't blame them for not removing it). So I removed it. (here's a picture)
Cool, eh?

Anyway, to my question. I wanted to re-locate the new waterpump to the platform that the old one was on, to get it out of the way, maybe cut down a bit on the noise, etc. When I moved it, I discovered:

a floating black wire. So, the blue wire comes from the great big wiring harness, and has an inline fuse on it, switches to a yellow wire, and goes into the water pump. Then, there's a red wire that comes out of the same place where the yellow wire goes in. That goes to the back of the pump, and a black wire comes out of there. That black wire was not attached to anything. I'm pretty sure it's a ground wire. Should I just attach it to an area of the wiring area that seems devoted to ground wires? (there's a board attached to the skin with several screws. One screw has the ground from the univolt panel on it. Another screw has the ground from the battery charger on it. There are several other screws available. Should I just use one?).

I have the main fuse supplying power to all the 12V stuff (furnace fan, lights, radio, pump) pulled, so I am not in any imminent danger of electrocuting myself, but I'd like to keep it that way.

Your attention is appreciated.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It appears the blue/yellow wire is the 12 volt supply and the black wire is ground.

The blue/yellow wire goes to the high pressure switch on the pump output and controls the pump when the pressure in the lines drops to the cut on pressure.

Hook the black wire to ground and open a faucet, the pump should come on once the pressure drops.

If for some reason the pump runs backwards just switch the black wire to the blue and the yellow to ground, not likely but far out chance.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Thanks Howie. You really helped.

I set up the newer pump where the old pump used to be, screwed it down, reconnected the water intake and power wire, and grounded the black wire. Just need to reconnect the ouput hose and fire everything back up again to test it. I feel better about having the pump screwed down than where it was before, lolling about on top of wires, hoses, and furnace ductwork.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You could use a line in filter. Save yourself some future pump damage.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Good old pump.

I think parts are still available for the old pump. If the motor is still good you could rebuild it and have a backup.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I think parts are still available for the old pump. If the motor is still good you could rebuild it and have a backup.
I was just going to ask if anyone wanted it. Free to anyone interested. Around here, old things just tend to get thrown out, rather than refurbished and saved. We have no space for extras.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageclot View Post
I was just going to ask if anyone wanted it. Free to anyone interested. Around here, old things just tend to get thrown out, rather than refurbished and saved. We have no space for extras.
I would like to have it. The one in my Trade Wind cracked due to an inadequate winterization. PM sent.

Thanks for the offer.

Tags
electricity, water pump, wiring