Old 10-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Santa Rosa , California
Water pump stays on all the time

This may be a dumb question but, I have two water pump switches in my 08 Classic and both keep the water pump running without stopping. The pump runs even though there seems to be enough pressure in the water lines with all faucets off; Yet the pump just runs and runs.

The system maintains water pressure even when the pump has been off for days, so I don't think water is just leaking out someplace where I don't see it.

Any Idea why this is happening?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
It sounds like you havel air in your line somewhere (even a small amount can cause your symptoms). Try hooking up to city water, let your system get fully pressurized, unhook the water and then turn your pump on. If it continues to run, chances are you are losing water somewhere. I have found the culprit at times to be the most hidden areas of your water line (of course). Could be your pump, but not likely given the year of your unit.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Kernersville , North Carolina
switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBeast View Post
........ The pump runs even though there seems to be enough pressure in the water lines with all faucets off; Yet the pump just runs and runs.
If it is not air in the lines then you could have a defective, or out of adjustment, pressure switch. Once you rule out air in the lines you might try adjusting the screw on the head of the water pump. Make sure you count your turns so you can turn it back.
Once you turn it you will have to turn off the pump (switch on wall) and let the pressure out of the line (open the faucet) then close the faucet and turn the switch back on. Do this one revolution at a time.
Most of the time, people mistake that screw as something that will give them greater pressure. That screw is to adjust the amount of pressure that allows the pump to come on.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Air in the system, down stream of the pump, would not cause this problem. A good pump would pressurize the system even with air in it and shut down. You can not compress water but you can compress air and the pump would overcome any air by compressing it.

How are you shutting the pump off electrically to run this several day pressure test?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I have noticed this happening in my rig when there is air in the line, like when my tank runs empty. Purge any air out of all the fixture lines (all faucets, shower hose, toilet, and HW heater) and you may solve your problem. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
You may have a bad check valve in the pump itself. The pump head has diaphragms and a valve assembly all bolted together. If it is leaking through at the pump, you might not ever see any leakage because it is just going back to the tank. But the pump may still have enough capacity to feed the faucets and whatnot.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Air in the system, down stream of the pump, would not cause this problem. A good pump would pressurize the system even with air in it and shut down. You can not compress water but you can compress air and the pump would overcome any air by compressing it.
I might tend to disagree with this statement. I believe that air in the lines is probably the main cause of a continually running pump. While it is true that air does compress I don't believe that the pump has enough power behind it to compress the air to the required psi. Consequently, the pump continues to run.

I had a similar situation this summer. Having never had a problem with our pump, we set up at our site and the pump wouldn't shut off. I ran all the faucets, the outside shower and made sure that the HW tank was purged. That solved the problem. How the air got into the lines remains a mystery, but purging the air solved it.

Give that a try before you fiddle with the pressure adjustment.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
The pump will run until the air and water pressure reach the setpoint of the built in pressure switch of the pump. The air will compress nicely and cause the pump to run longer BUT the pump will stop if air was the only problem. These pumps are positive displacement pumps which means that as long as the motor turns, it pumps (assuming the pump itself is fully operational).

Having air in the lines or anywhere in the system will be no different really than having an accumulator in the system - except that the air will eventually dissolve into the water and therefore its volume will eventually be reduced to zero.

As anecdotal evidence - I dump my water heater when I am not using it for a period of time. When I refill it and flush it out I get it mostly full, but never 100% full. The pump runs for a longer period of time at first, but within a day or two, runs like normal. I am used to this so I don't worry about it. it will clear up no problem.

If the pump is running all the time AND there is no visible leakage anywhere, then I would say, try this experiment - run the pump for about 15 seconds or longer, cut the power off and wait about 5 minutes. Open a faucet and if nothing comes out you have a leak. If there is no water coming out of the belly pan, the pump head is likely the problem. And as these things can freeze, or the rubber get old, or any number of things - I would look there first.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The mention of the pump running when the tank is empty is a correct. Without water being supplied to the pump the pump will run for ever.

Now that said and I assume you have water in the tank this can happen if there is a leak in the pump supply hose and the pump is aspirating air directly.

If you have a transparent cap on your water tank filter just before the pump you would see bubbles there if that is the case.

If not disconnect the output hose from the pump, put a piece of hose on the pump, place that hose in a bucket and pump water into the bucket. If you see bubbles you have a air leak in the suction line.

This type of pump can not run for ever if everything is correct. The pump would stall itself due to high pressure.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
And that happened to me once in Death Valley and killed my batteries - I had the pressure dialed too high and I have an accumulator installed. It was trying to pump its heart out but the rotor locked up because my batteries were not charged up all that well and the rest is history - nearly dead battery.
I could see amps drawing on the gage but nothing was running, or so I thought. Turned the pump switch off and amps dropped to zero.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Santa Rosa , California
Thanks everyone, I don't know who to credit here. But the problem seems to have mysteriously fixed its self. (but It did run for a long time).

Buttercup - Oddly enough, I'm getting my AS ready for the annual family meeting for Thanksgiving; in Death Valley. My family has been camping there nearly every year since I was four years old.

Well, thanks Everybody!

Steve
Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Steve,

Nice! We'll be down there the 2nd week of November, staying at Mesquite and doing some volunteer work for the DVNHA. Really looking forward to being there and recharging!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Santa Rosa , California
Yeah, I know what you mean. And that's great that you're giving back by volunteering!

We camp at Sunset campground, even in the wind it's the best turkey anywhere. I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope you have a very nice stay there.

Best of luck!
Steve