Old 06-23-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari
Littleton , Colorado
Water Pump Rapidly Cycles on/off when in use

We could use a little advice. On our 2008 25' Safari, the water pressure is fine when hooked to city water (I'm assuming this is because city water provides the pressure). When boon docking, and we draw water from the fresh water tank or the hot water heater, the water pump rapidly cycles on/off (like on and off every second) under the following circumstances:
1) Always at the small bathroom sink.
2) Sometimes at the kitchen sink (the sometime is when I turn the water on partially (not fully on/open). It does NOT rapidly cycle on/off like this if I open the kitchen faucet (hot, cold, or combination) all the way open (which I don't really want to do when boon docking and trying to conserve water and holding tank contents.)
It appears that it is only trying to deliver what is being called for and the only way it knows to do that is to pump intermittently. The only way to explain the problem at the bathroom sink is that the faucet is small and therefore only calls for a small amount of water.
My concern is that this will somehow damage the pump. I can live with the noise, but it sounds like it might do damage.
Wondering if others have had this experience?
Could this be caused by air in the lines?
Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Mellinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
That's pretty much how they work. They are on demand pumps.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You can install an accumulator, Shure make one, in the output line of the pump. There is an air chamber in it that smooths out the pressure.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote