Old 11-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #1

1978 31' Sovereign
Kennesaw , Georgia
Question Water pump problem

1978 Sovereign. Shurflo water pump. Water system works well using outside water pressure. Wanted to ck pump operation after disconnecting hose. confirmed plenty of water in fresh water tank. All faucets closed. Activated pump; can hear and feel it running, but it doesn't quit running after several minutes and no water going thru system. Thought perhaps soome leak between tank and pump. Proceeded to attempt winterizing; closed "intake" valve and redirected it to intake antifreeze from bottle, repositioning all valves appropriately in accordance with winterizing instructions. Activated pump again-- it runs, but does not intake antifreeze fm bottle. Pump 1 year old; worked well when last used last March. I'm ready to take to RV svc center. Any thoughts?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Put a hose on the input side of the pump and with a funnel pure some water into the pump to be sure the valves are wet, prime the pump. Now try and pick up the anti freeze. Some times if the pump is dry it will not pick up a prime.

If that doesn't work I would take the pump out and work on it on a bench. I would remove the top section and check the 4 valves and the diaphragm. For some reason it sounds like the valves are not working and not producing a vacuum to pick up the anti freeze.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
what happened to me

just a thought...
my pump has a filter on the inlet side. It got clogged up with some stuff it sucked in from the fresh water tank. What you described was exactly what happened to me. One duh i ran into... I put it on the bench to test it and it still didn't pump any water. The pump was less than a year old. Once I removed the filter it pumped real well...

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Before removing the pump:
You should make sure there is water at the intake by taking the line off the intake of the pump to confirm. Did you check to see if there is a valve on the tank or in the line between the pump and tank that has been closed.
Remove the discharge hose and leave the intake connected to the pump. Turn the pump on and see if water comes out the discharge. If it does, reconnect the discharge hose, open a faucet and run the pump to see if you get water. In a lot of cases the pump will get air locked, even when there is water at the intake it can't get to the diaphram. If air is the problem, removing the discharge hose can in most cases solve the problem.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you have a bypass kit, there's a valve on it to either suck antifreeze or pump water. You said you have tried that unless you got it backwards. I usually forget to open or close the valve and wonder why the antifreeze isn't getting sucked, or in the spring, why the pump won't pump water.

If there's a lot of air in the lines, it can take quite a while for water to get past air bubbles enough to get some water through the lines. If the faucet is closed, you'll never get the air out. I would open the one closest to the pump. Sometimes, while traveling, it seems to take forever when using the pump to get water out of a faucet if the pressure has been bled off (using a faucet without turning on the pump when not hooked to city water). The source line from the water tank can get air bound too if the tank was pumped dry before it was filled. Our pump is supposed to be able to run dry, so it doesn't seem to need priming.

After making sure of the easy things (including cleaning the pump filter), then it's onward to the harder ones.

Gene
Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I've had the problem and solved by loosening the screw clamp at the pump output while pump is on until it leaks then retighten.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #7

1978 31' Sovereign
Kennesaw , Georgia
My thanks to responders. The problem was readily resolved by priming the pump,but I wouldn't have tho't of it without you.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Hi, I'm searching thru the forums for PUMP answers, too. My symptoms are just like RHKennesawGA describes. Everything I know about plumbing you write on the head of a pin. I can see the pump under the closet floor; I can hear and feel it running; I can unscrew the connections. I can't figure out what kind of hose/connection combo to ask the hardware guys for to try the priming activity. The garden hose doesn't work (Duh). I wish I was more mechanically gifted. Help>?
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Priming

You don't need anything from the hardware store. If your pump intake is connected to the fresh water tank and the tank has water in it. You just need to make sure the water is getting to the intake of the pump. Just losen the hose clamp on the intake hose and wiggle the hose off of the fitting. If there is water there put the hose back on the intake and tighten the clamp; then go to the discharge side of the pump. Remove the hose, turn the pump on; you should get water flow. If so; reconnect the hose to the discharge of the pump, open the galley faucet and turn on the pump. Be sure to check the inline filter that may be between the tank and the pump. If you don't get water at the sink, start looking for leaks.
Many times this type of pump will not pump if there is air in it and will not prime itself. Once you get the air out unless you pump the tank dry you will be OK.
Another thing to look for; if the hose on the intake side is old and cracked, the pump could be sucking air. If that is the case you should replace the hose.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie
You don't need anything from the hardware store. If your pump intake is connected to the fresh water tank and the tank has water in it. You just need to make sure the water is getting to the intake of the pump. Just losen the hose clamp on the intake hose and wiggle the hose off of the fitting. If there is water there put the hose back on the intake and tighten the clamp; then go to the discharge side of the pump. Remove the hose, turn the pump on; you should get water flow. If so; reconnect the hose to the discharge of the pump, open the galley faucet and turn on the pump. Be sure to check the inline filter that may be between the tank and the pump. If you don't get water at the sink, start looking for leaks.
Many times this type of pump will not pump if there is air in it and will not prime itself. Once you get the air out unless you pump the tank dry you will be OK.
Another thing to look for; if the hose on the intake side is old and cracked, the pump could be sucking air. If that is the case you should replace the hose.
Sounds like good advice. I did unscrew the input side after filling the fresh water tank about two thirds full with my garden hose. All the piping I can see is sound. There is no water at the input. The filter is clean. Still no joy. (sigh)

Sent from my iPad using AIR Forums
Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Plugged line

Is there water at the input of the filter unit? Is there a valve on the tank outlet that could be shut? If there is no water at the filter, it sounds like the oulet of the tank may be plugged. You might try blowing out the discharge line. Disconnect the hose at the inlet to the filter and with an air hose see if you can blow out the line going in to the tank. If you can, adjust the regulator on the compressor to about 40 PSI.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Remove the hose from the inlet side of the filter. Take a short piece of hose, 2-3 ft or so, and connect it to the inlet side of the filter. hold that hose up and pour water into it until the hose is about full. Turn the pump on for a second, just long enough to fill the filter but not long enough the draw air into the filter. Remove the small hose from the filter and reconnect the original hose making sure you tighten the clamp. Turn the pump on and it should pick up a prime and continue to show water in the filter bowl.

Often over time the water in the pickup line and the filter drain back to the tank and if the pump diaphragms are dry they will not pickup that first of the year prime.

If after the pump has primed and this problem happens again in a season look for air leaks on the input side of the pump.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Remove the hose from the inlet side of the filter. Take a short piece of hose, 2-3 ft or so, and connect it to the inlet side of the filter. hold that hose up and pour water into it until the hose is about full. Turn the pump on for a second, just long enough to fill the filter but not long enough the draw air into the filter. Remove the small hose from the filter and reconnect the original hose making sure you tighten the clamp. Turn the pump on and it should pick up a prime and continue to show water in the filter bowl.

Often over time the water in the pickup line and the filter drain back to the tank and if the pump diaphragms are dry they will not pickup that first of the year prime.

If after the pump has primed and this problem happens again in a season look for air leaks on the input side of the pump.
Thanks, HowieE, for the guidance. I have a nice two foot white hose with standard garden hose male and female ends. I tried to attach/use it, but was afraid of making a wet mess in there because the garden fitting is too large for the pump fitting. So this know-nothing-about-plumbing guy wonders if I have to buy something to make the connection successfully??

Sent from my iPad2 using AIR Forums
Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
cut the end off the hose and get a band strap hose clamp and see if you can tighten it down enough to seal to the filter.

If not not get a small dia hose.