Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Water pump problem

While camping this weekend I noticed a little water dripping below the sink on our 1977 sovereign 31ft. While checking for the leak I noticed water around the pump. I couldn't tell if the pump was leaking or if it was the connections to the water line and output. I also noticed that the pump has started to run longer and now it doesn't want to shut off after demand flow stops. Anyone have any suggestions on how to trouble shoot? Thanks for your input
Wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Yes, you have a leak somewhere between your water pump and your sink. So you know that it is on the outlet side of your pump, and not the inlet. You have already removed some of the plumbing lines from you investigation.

Here's how I look for leaks:
Shut off the pump.
Mop and towel up ALL moisture in the leak areas. Get these areas absolutely dry.
Be able to get visual access to all of the plumbing lines between the water pump and the sink, if that's where you have localized the leak to.
Turn back on the water pump and watch immediately. If the switch and the pump are widely separated have a helper turn it on while you look. A mirror and flashlight are big helpers when looking behind or under cabinets.
You should be able to find the leak quickly this way.
Once you do, repair the spot with the appropriate material.
After you have finished the repair, dry everything off again, and do the check over. Compression fittings have a way of needing another twist before they stop dripping.

I hope this helps, ask more if you need more.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Yes, you have a leak somewhere between your water pump and your sink. So you know that it is on the outlet side of your pump, and not the inlet.

John

You were right. The leak I found was on the output side of the pump. Turns out the rubber supply lines were dry rotted. I replaced both input and output and have Stopped that leak. The pump doen't run continuously But I still have another leak somewhere in the system. It will still cycle on evey 15 minutes or so. Also when I hook up to city water I get a slow drip under the trailer around the galley area. Can't see the spot to fix it though.
Hope I don't have to tear up flooring to find the leak. I'll keep looking maybe I'll get lucky. Anyway thanks for the help
Wayne
Old 08-23-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water pump problem

Greetings Wayne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandwayne
John

You were right. The leak I found was on the output side of the pump. Turns out the rubber supply lines were dry rotted. I replaced both input and output and have Stopped that leak. The pump doen't run continuously But I still have another leak somewhere in the system. It will still cycle on evey 15 minutes or so. Also when I hook up to city water I get a slow drip under the trailer around the galley area. Can't see the spot to fix it though.
Hope I don't have to tear up flooring to find the leak. I'll keep looking maybe I'll get lucky. Anyway thanks for the help
Wayne
If the slow drip that you are noticing is coming from a tube that exits through the bellypan, my suspicion is that you have a low-point drain under the sink that is either not completely closed or is in need of repair/replacement. I have had this problem with both my Minuet and Overlander - - the copper valves in the Overlander were repairable while the plastic valves in the Minuet needed replacement. The method used to identify the problem on my coach was to turn the valve to opposite ends of its travel and observe the flow - - if it was impossible to stop the drip, the valve was identified as needing repair/replacement.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
kevin
I wish that were the case. I have used that drain to help empty the system in winter. This leak is somewhere else close though. Thanks for input though.
still wet wayne