Old 06-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Water Pump Noise

A quick question as to water pump noise - I have owned my used 97 Safari for about 9 months but have not yet used my water pump. When I tested it last night, output was strong, but the pump was very noisy. Are they noisy typically, or am I looking at replacing it soon.

Also, it looks like I will have to move heaven and earth to get to it (at least a bunch of ducting). Any hints?

Thanks - Pat.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Are they [water pumps] noisy typically, or am I looking at replacing it soon. Thanks - Pat.
Water pumps themselves can be in great shape, but cause a huge amount of noise: They can cause the water pipes to rattle against the insides of the rig even many, many feet from the location of the pump itself. (After we put a new pump in ours, it took multiple attempts to quiet everything down. In the meantime, it sounded like a freight train!)

Lynn

Old 06-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, Lynn. Your answer gives me some comfort about the noise. I think I may assume that the pump is fine, and I should direct my efforts to noise isolation and reduction.

I love NM, too - but my visits have been too few and too far between.

Pat.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, I wouldn't assume a pump problem unless you've got pretty good evidence to the contrary: No water pressure, or water leaking from the pump housing (the fate of our old pump).

Lynn
Old 06-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Thanks, Lynn. Your answer gives me some comfort about the noise. I think I may assume that the pump is fine, and I should direct my efforts to noise isolation and reduction. Pat.
There are some threads in the archives on this - some in the last month or so.

Mark
Old 06-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If you look at your owner's manual ( or at least in mine) you will find that its a diaphragm pump with 3 pistons. Its the piston noise that you hear. I have checked the pump mounting pads and looked for sound shorts, there are none, still the noise is there. The pump makes no more noise now than it did when I first got the trailer, the pressure is good. It's not broken and I'm not going to fix it.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Water pump noise

Hi,

This question is related to the thread.

My water pump (1987 and assume it is original) Sure-flow diaphragm pump is very quiet and seems to work ok. However, when I open the faucet the water flow is not very strong. Is my pump wearing out - if so, what is required to improve the pump pressure. I assume that there is a rebuild kit - would that be sufficient? What about installing an air acumulator (small one of course)? I really don't want to replace the pump unless absolutely necessary.

Another question - has anyone included a pressure gauge in their water system, to monitor water pressure at start and finish of pumping?

Thanks in advance, for any and all comments.

Mariner
1986 F250 T/C 6.9 Diesel, LB,S/C,4x4,Auto
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

The water pressure on the old Sureflo pumps was never all that high, and yes, age does have an effect. You can buy rebuild kits, and they are pretty simple to install.

The newer variable speed pumps will deliver more pressure, considerably more, but at more cost. Be aware that most variable speed pumps really require heavier wiring than the Sureflo diaphram pump. They can draw up to 10 amps.

The noise is NOT always the pump. The pulsations of the pump can easily migrate throughout the plumbing system and hammer away at any adjacent panel, wall, partition, or whatever, raising a terrific racket. The pump itself can set up quite a noise if the feet are not properly secured.

Mark
Old 06-28-2004, 07:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Water pump noise - accumulators

Hi all,

Further to my earlier post, I decided to check out accumulators for water systems. Shurflo sells one that is ideal for RV use. It is about $40 and should reduce or eliminate water pump noise. I will be purchasing one in the next few days. Will post findings if anyone is interested. I think I will also install a pressure gauge in the system to monitor water pressure - good idea if city water regulator is starting to fail, pressure change (increase) will be instantly seen.
1986 F250 T/C 6.9 Diesel, LB,S/C,4x4,Auto
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Noisy Pipes

I know this is an old thread, however I found it while searching for a solution to the problem I had - banging pipes on our 05 Safari. I had our selling dealer "fix" it under warranty - without solving the problem (they must not have tested it with water in the system!). I also talked with another dealer who said Airstream won't recognize it as a problem, but told me what was needed (see the following).

The Sureflo instructions say flexible connections to their pump are required. Unfortunately, this is NOT the way Airstream installs them. I purchased two 20" flex hoses and installed them today -- problem cured! (The pipes no longer rattle!) Cost was under $10. I also relocated the pump to provide easy access to the filter and adjusting screw.

Airstream could (read "should") install the flex connections and eliminate a lot of unnecessary trouble calls and irritated customers. I hope this helps others.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp99
I know this is an old thread, however I found it while searching for a solution to the problem I had - banging pipes on our 05 Safari. I had our selling dealer "fix" it under warranty - without solving the problem (they must not have tested it with water in the system!). I also talked with another dealer who said Airstream won't recognize it as a problem, but told me what was needed (see the following).

The Sureflo instructions say flexible connections to their pump are required. Unfortunately, this is NOT the way Airstream installs them. I purchased two 20" flex hoses and installed them today -- problem cured! (The pipes no longer rattle!) Cost was under $10. I also relocated the pump to provide easy access to the filter and adjusting screw.

Airstream could (read "should") install the flex connections and eliminate a lot of unnecessary trouble calls and irritated customers. I hope this helps others.
Good Info!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks lwp99! Ditto the good info. Sounds like a simple upgrade to me and I will look into it.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Several people have installed multiple loops of nylon reinforced tubing on the inlet/outlet of the pump as a dampening device which works quite well. I would try this before installing an accumulator. A couple of bucks for tubing, hose clamps and a barbed adapter. Nothing to mount.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Another thought! When using the water pump you are using storage tank water and therefore probably filling your holding tanks at the same time.
Nice to have the noise to remind us to use as little water as possible.
Mine is loud but not intolerable. The accumulator will reduce the cycling of the pump.
Al