Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
water pump for 1970 Airstream

help!...my husband says we need a new water pump for our 1970 Land Yacht...i have no idea what to get or where to get it....Any help please Thanks
happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi

My suggestion woud be a SHURflo Whisper King. Camping World has them for under $90.00. Low power consumption and good PSI flow.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Cullowhee , North Carolina
Keep shopping for more sources

$79.95 Shurflo Pumps - The Classic 2088 12V on Sale

You could also do a goolge search for "SHURflo Whisper King" to do some online shopping.

Is there an RV sales & supply store in your area?

Shopping can save you a good deal of money though shipping distances would also eat up the savings.

Good luck happydaze!

"Life is not about finding yourself.
Life is about creating yourself."G B Shaw
Dark Cove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi Happydaze;
I've tried to repaired the genuine one, twice, and I have finally replaced it with a SHURFLO and it's smoother and better now.
I've ordered it at CG TRAILER

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Check some deatils

Shurflo seems to be the pump of choice followed by Flojet. I replaced my old belt pump with a modern Shurflo. Look at the GPM (gallons perm minute) and also what pressure the pump is designed for.

Most RV's run in the 30-45 Lb pressure range. As a guess I would say 45 is pretty common. As long as you are looking into a pump, consider an accumulator tank as well. Those tanks can adsorb some water hammer (excess pressure when the pump kicks on) and some expansion pressure from the water heater if installed right. 6 gpm may be a bit high and 1.3 a bit low. Depends on the amount and duration of use. For my 25 ft. I use something that is only about 3 gpm. If you want more water from the shower some more gpm's would help (assuming the pressure is not maxed out).

Make sure any pump you get has a built in check valve. If it doesn't, then get one and install it on pressure side of the pump. Take the time not only to look over the pump replacement but check over the rest of the plumbing including the drainage system.

I am starting to replace an entire system because one of my problems was the pump not doing the job and in the course of repalcing it I got a chance to look over everything and found some interesting cobble jobs . Rather than repair questionable practices, it isn't that bad (except for the new heater) to just repace the system with a better designed pex system. Hopefully all you need is a pump.

Check out prices all over before buying. If you want to save a $, sometimes your RV dealer will have some used parts form mods or wrecks. (The ones that never repack whell bearings and so forth---they are an excellent source of parts for the rest of us! ). Back to the subject---do a little research first. There is a lot of slack in the operational ranges that the AS's operate in, know what suits your needs top end is not necessarily a requirement. That said at least one excellent pump has already been recomended, and the $ for that model give a lot of pump for the $.

Oh and don't hook the pump up directly to a copper line--use flexible plastic.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
San Bernardino , California
The use of pex hose is the way to go. It comes in red and blue so you can tell at a glance which is hot or which is cold. The shurflow pump is the only one to go with. It has a long working life and the for the cost and you can get replacements anywhere you go.
ricknach is offline   Reply With Quote