Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thumbs up Water pump cycling every 1-2 sec??

Hi gang – we used the water pump in our new 2004 Safari last week for the first time and noticed that it is cycling on and off about every 2 – 3 seconds! Seems excessive to me. I know there is no accumulator in the line to balance out the pulsing water pressure. Is there some adjustment on the pump itself? At this rate, the thing will bite the dust within a year. Or is this normal?

The water tank is full. We are not hooked up to city water. What gives? I will be taking it back to my dealer because I think this should be a warrantee repair but he’s new in the game and I’d like to give him a few ‘hints’ about what might be wrong.

Any ideas??

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, I think that there is a check valve which might not be working correctly and or there is a leak some place. Ours also cycles when not in use, but prob only 1 time every few hours if not longer....every 2-3 seconds though clearly is far too much. Have you checked the water heater and made sure that everything is properly closed? Does it cycle this way with the water heater by-pass on and off? Also, you can access the pump, see the tank and check valve from those little square doors under the streetside pantry and closet doors. I'd open those doors up (they are on hinges too, just no handles) and shine some light in there to see what's going on...you might see the issue right out of the gate since outside of the water lines around the coach, the main action happens right in that area.

Any way you look at it, I would think it's a warranty repair if it's still under warranty.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Same thing happened to me once on my '04 CCD. There's a screw on the end of my water pump that adjusts the outgoing water pressure setting. A/S HQ told me to adjust it, which I did, to correct the problem, which it did.

Might be "no big deal".
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Sounds like a leak somewhere.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Yeah, a leak. If the system used to work normally it is unlikely the pump sensitivity changed itself in the meantime.

The check valve/water inlet may be where the leak is. That part of the system gave out on me a few years ago leading to the symptoms reported. It was easy to find because it sprayed water when the pump was on and dripped down when the pump was off.
bobechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Mine changed and there was no leak... I talked to both A/S and Shurflo - same story. I reset the adjustment and it was fine.

I'd try that first...
Old 06-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There could also be an Aquajet pump installed if you have the LS package.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Great suggestions, gang!!! I HOPE HOPE HOPE it's not leaking somewhere. I've looked under the cabinet at the pump and there appears to be no water under there. I didn't realize there would have to be a check valve on the supply side of the pump but it makes sense that the pump would need something to keep the pressure from bleeding back into the fresh water tank. The pump never cycles by itself - only when a faucet is opened. Then it goes into speedy mode, cycling every couple of seconds. That may rule out a leak or a failing check valve. I will look for the pressure adjustment first. That sounds like the simplest approach. Thanks again.

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Margaret Lee Runbeck

Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Normal operation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHAST
The pump never cycles by itself - only when a faucet is opened. Then it goes into speedy mode, cycling every couple of seconds.

That sure sounds to me like proper operation for the pump or do I not understand your observations.

The pump, if operating and installed properly, should create pressure and stop running - once it reaches the pressure level calibrated to the pressure switch. If you don't open any valves (or there are no leaks) the pump should not cycle again for an extended period of time.

When a valve is opened the pump (if providing adequate line pressure) will activate, cycle on and off while the water is flowing, and continue to operate after the valve is shut until the pressure sensitivity is reached. Then it will stop.

If there is air in the lines, or somewhere air is being pulled into the lines (like a gasket on the in-line filter) then the pump will run faster than it would normally, although when the valve is closed - air or not - the pump should stop and remain stopped.

When I replaced my 20 year old pump in the '85 with a SureFlo, I can pressuriize the system, turn the pump off, return days later ... turn the pump on again and it will not cycle. My system will maintain pressure for days, even weeks it if I allow it.

Any time a pressure pump cycles it is because the line pressure has fallen below the sensitivity level of the pressure switch. Sometimes the pressure switches go bad & sometimes the 'check valve' can weep, but a totally solid system will hold the pressure placed into it for an extended period of time.

This stands true, as long as you have adequate water in the tank!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Mine acted the same way - no pump cycling until a faucet was opened.

The adjustement screw fixed it.

Let us know what you discover. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Xray is correct, if this is an Aquajet pump the adjustment screw on the back will back off the pressure so that it does not pulse so heavily.

It is a hex (Allen type) key, but I do not remember the size.

Mark
Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
On our last trip out, our water pump seemed to go crazy when we took showers. The sound was awful, and I could actually hear the sound of PEX tubing rattling against the shell of our unit. It was a rat-a-tat-rat-atat sound.
It was almost a real exagerated house-hold-water-hammer type sound.

Here is what I found: Shower spray on, pump would cycle normally for 10 seconds, and then suddenly go into "rat-a-tat-rat-atat" mode. If I shut the sprayer off (even for one second) using the on/sorta-off switch on the spray head, and then turned it back on, the pump would run fine again for 10 seconds or so, and then go into "rat-a-tat-rat-atat" mode again.

Jonathan
Old 06-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My bad....my take too was that this was when no faucets were open. If there is such a beast to adjust, then I agree, I'd look there.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Shower spray on, pump would cycle normally for 10 seconds, and then suddenly go into "rat-a-tat-rat-atat" mode.
Check your plumbing lines to make sure they are securely attached. I also had the "rat-a-tat" noise but was able to silence it once I secured the lines.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I was wondering why my pump was running on and on then I noticed water outside the trailer. Make sure your outside water hookup is capped. If the cap isn't on tight the water will pump outside and you will see a puddle(Classic trailer). I happen to do this every once in a while, turn my pump on, it keeps running, and I know right away that the cap is off or not on tight.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
I was wondering why my pump was running on and on then I noticed water outside the trailer. Make sure your outside water hookup is capped. If the cap isn't on tight the water will pump outside and you will see a puddle(Classic trailer). I happen to do this every once in a while, turn my pump on, it keeps running, and I know right away that the cap is off or not on tight.
The other place to check is your low water drain valves which you use when you winterize. I remember one of those not being entirely closed. A slow drip was enough to make that pump occasionaly run. Those valves are near the streetside front wheel on the tandem axle trailers. Drips from those are not easily seen.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
Base---if you have water coming from your water inlet you have a problem too! Even if you leave the inlet cover off there should be no water coming back out.
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
pump rapid cycling fixed

Thanks folks - pump rapid cycling problem seems to be fixed. Thanks for all the wise words! I got the pump model number from the pump ( standing on my head while holding flashlight, mirror and pencil while reading numbers backward in the mirror!!!). Went to the Shurflo web site and found pdf document which described the exact problem and how to adjust the pump. Just as Xray suggested, there is a phillips head screw in the center of the end of the pump. A small clockwise turn while the water was running reduced the cycling of the motor to about 5 sec on - 2 sec off. That seems to be Shurflo's recommendation so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks again for all the help!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Margaret Lee Runbeck

Old 07-14-2005, 06:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
On our last trip out, our water pump seemed to go crazy when we took showers. The sound was awful, and I could actually hear the sound of PEX tubing rattling against the shell of our unit. It was a rat-a-tat-rat-atat sound.
Crazylev, i have been having the exact same problem. I used my shower for the first time today to test it out (one neighbor saw me heading out to my trailer with the towel and soap). The shower flow starts out fine, then once the pump is nearly finished with it pressure cycle, rattle-rattle. It's hard on the plumbing, and harder on the pump. Listening to the pump up front, it is rapidly 'clicking' with a relay like sound.

Here is what I done prior to today's shower to try and correct the situation.

• Check and clean all filter screens on all fixtures
  • Check and clean filter/strainer on the vacuum side of the pump.
  • Make sure all air is bled out of lines and fixtures
  • adjust the pressure switch set screw (per manual) about 1/2 turn clockwise
  • Pray to any god of my choice

The manual says NOT to adjust the screw more than 1 1/2 turns. I'm 1/2 way there, assuming that it was at the neutral position before I started turning it. I'm going to give it another 3/4 of a turn to see if it fixes the problem, otherwise, I'm thinking about putting in an accumulator tank. That should take care of the problem.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Greetings.

I am revisiting this thread because while camped along the Missisippee river, I went to use the shower, the same awful sound and banging re-surfaced.

We are boondocking. Using the Honda for power while cleaning (showering). Water runs for about 5 seconds and goes into vibrator mode. This time I noticed that if you open another fawcett somewhere the shake rattle and roll subsides. I don't think it's a generator thing.

I have checked the outside city water inlet and it is secured. Another thing noticed is that normally when I open a fawcett, water will run for about 2 seconds BEFORE the pump kicks in. On this trip, the moment you open the fawcett, the pump starts up, and does not turn off until fawcet is closed.

Is this air in the lines?, Would adjusting the set screw on the pump 1/2 turn solve this as mentioned by Westfalia et al?

BTW- I checked the low drain valves, front and back, and all seems OK and I don't see any (visible) leaks, or water dripping out of the trailer anywhere.

This is driving us crazy!!!! And I don't smell so good because I'm hurrying in the shower!

Help improve our air quality by helping me if you can.

Thanks.

Jonathan