Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Water pump cycling

As I rarely use a direct water line hook up, I have my pump on almost all the time I am camped. This will cycle on for about a half to one second, about every three hours, occasionally more frequently. There are no leaks the dealer can find, I have searched this out myself and find none.

I was told to simply turn the pump off at night so the noise would not wake me up, but this does not seem to be a solution as the toilet requires water to flush.

Also, there is a small screw which can be adjusted on the pump. What does this do, and which direction increases or decreases the effect from adjusting the screw?

Thanks
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I had a similar problem last summer. Finally figured out that pressure was leaking back through the pump itself. Some really small leak that would cause the pump to kick on just for a second to repressurize.

The screw is to adjust the pressure switch inside the pump housing.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There are two possibilities and only two possibilities.

There is a small leak in the system or-

The check valves in the pump are not working as they should.

In absence of external leakage, the only fix is to replace the pump or to deal with the cycling.

In the old days the pump might have been repaired or rebuilt, not so in our modern disposable society.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Depending on the pump you may be able to get new diaphragm for it, this is the part that pumps. The check valves are actually the diaphragm flaps themselves, and not separate check valves as you would imagine. If the diaphragm gets dirt in it it can cause slow back leakage and symptoms you describe . You can try cleaning yours first.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The water pump in my trailer acts exactly like yours - always has. Over a few hours, it will lose enough pressure for the pump to kick on for a second or two. No leaks that I've found. Some nights it doesn't kick on at all. We've gotten used to turning the pump off (as well as the water heater) when we go to bed, and flip it back on if you get up to use the bathroom, and on in the morning. I suppose a new pump, or rebuilding mine, might help the situation. If it were a new trailer, it would probably bother me more, too.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A friend got a new to him Airstream, and put a new variable speed pump in it. It would cycle on and off every few minutes, but there were no leaks in the system.'

I took the pump apart and found a small curly cue of polly plastic under one of the pump's 4 valves. I removed it with a pair of tweezers and put it back together, and the problem was solved. I suspect something like that in this case too.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
As this has been a problem since new, I believe I will request the pump be replaced under warranty.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Our pump has done the same thing for the last 10yrs, cycles on for 2-3sec every 5hrs or so.

We used to leave the pump on 24/7, 'til we woke up one night with a flooded bathroom floor.......cross threaded/split line connection.

The Classic has a pump switch in the B/room, (convenient for mid-night visits,) it now gets turned off a night, or when no ones in the trailer.

Bob
Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
This is looking for a problem where there is none! It is astounding that a simple rubber diaphragm can work that well....... one second every couple of hours.... are you kidding!? If I were the Airstream dealer I would laugh at any claim, but no doubt they'll fit another pump, and then the new one will likely do the same.

I really wouldn't let it worry me. That pump is fine. I suppose it should be a testimony to the general quality of the product that a non-issue can become an issue.

Robert is right, however, it is simple common sense to turn the pump off when not in use for extended periods.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I have a similar issue and was thinking of adding an in-line pressure tank like this one. Just haven't yet. Not a lot of room just aft of my pump before the hot/cold split.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #11
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
The whole point of the constant pressure pumps is that you don't need a pressure tank. Before the newer pumps came along you had to have a tank for smooth water flow and to have a decent shower. I've had those tanks, and they are a pain.

Come on now folks! If you have a pump that cycles for a few seconds every hour (even), and if there is no leak other than within the pump itself, then there are no detrimental effects and nothing to correct. This is looking for something to solve when there is nothing requiring a solution.

Dear me!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Best to be cautious and make sure there are no leaks since water, mildew and rot are all unwanted. When I was working on boats I would use a little food coloring to help find a leak...just don't use yellow!
If it is in the pump maybe cap or shut down the system near the pump to help prove or disprove. I believe that an accumulator tank is recommended as part of a well designed system (it can go almost anywhere & I mounted mine under the galley sink because of limited room in the '58 18' Traveler.
PS I do not believe that a cycling pump is "normal" ...we lived aboard a sailboat for almost 20 years...the freshwater system was left on all of the time unless we went away for a day or so....No Cycling from the Shurflow pump unless it needed repair or there was a leak.
Good luck
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
The whole point of the constant pressure pumps is that you don't need a pressure tank. Before the newer pumps came along you had to have a tank for smooth water flow and to have a decent shower. I've had those tanks, and they are a pain.

Come on now folks! If you have a pump that cycles for a few seconds every hour (even), and if there is no leak other than within the pump itself, then there are no detrimental effects and nothing to correct. This is looking for something to solve when there is nothing requiring a solution.

Dear me!
In my case I was thinking of the accumulator so the pump wouldn't kick on every time I cracked a faucet. Thinking it would stop some of the cycling, including the problem the OP is having.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A pump should NOT cycle at all, when no water is being drawn. If it does there is either an internal leak in the pump, which is not normal, or an external leak which is also not normal.

The pumps in both my trailers can be left on for days and weeks without use and never cycle. That is what is normal. If they do start to cycle, I know that there is an external leak and I then find it. A small internal leak causing the pump to cycle would mask that small external leak and the result would be water damage discovered sometime later.

So, you can laugh at me for not wanting the pump to cycle when no water is being used, but it is a very useful tool for real water leak detection.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
In my case I was thinking of the accumulator so the pump wouldn't kick on every time I cracked a faucet. Thinking it would stop some of the cycling, including the problem the OP is having.
Yes, we're talking about the same thing. Same answer from me.

I would note that all the ShurFlo constant pressure pumps that I have seen have a recommendation from the manufacturer that they be switched off when not in use. Are the newest ones different? Does anyone have the instruction/installation sheet from a recent model?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
The intermittent cycling is not normal or OK. My system does not do this at all. I'd go leak hunting.

I installed an accumulator and love it. It means the pump does not turn on so quickly, and the noise of the pump and water hammer effect is greatly reduced. Just my $0.02. In my next trailer, I might install 2 accumulators. If one is good, two is better, yes?

ERic
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our City Water check valve was allowing a 'weep' of water... replacing stopped the 'running' of the pump...

BTW, we have a built in 'accumulator' under the kitchen sink.. stock.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
The intermittent cycling is not normal or OK. My system does not do this at all. I'd go leak hunting.

I installed an accumulator and love it. It means the pump does not turn on so quickly, and the noise of the pump and water hammer effect is greatly reduced. Just my $0.02. In my next trailer, I might install 2 accumulators. If one is good, two is better, yes?

ERic
In my old SOB I installed a 1 gallon accumulator under the couch. That was sweet!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #19
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Like Rich above, I have installed a SHURFLOW accumulator in my '15 Classic. It's in-line with the water pump and works very well. I'd done this with my 28' Intl CCD and found it virtually eliminated the cycling issue. Would be nice if Airstream did this as part of the standard plumbing setup, but that's one more economy.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #20
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
I installed a ShurFlo constant pressure pump. Airstream had already put an accumulator in my MH in 1989 because the old pump was not constant pressure. The new pump was great, and I was quite happy to let the accumulator sit there and do nothing, because it is simply not necessary with a constant pressure pump.

I don't know if that pump clicks for half a second, one second or 3 seconds every hour, two hours or three hours, or if it never clicks at all. I don't listen for it and I couldn't care less whether it does. If I heard it clicking regularly I would take notice.

Life is too short and complicated already without spending time adding unnecessary complexity.