Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Water pump confusion:

I have done my research in the forums and am still stumped. When trying to get all systems running after the long winter I am having problems with the water pump.

Here's the deal:

This is a 2 year old Shur Flo in a 1974 Tradewind
The system runs fine on shore water.
When I turn on the pump it runs for a bit (building up pressure?) and holds (this tells me the system is intact?)
When I turn on the water it runs for 15 secs and then slows to a stop.
The pump continues to run for a minute or so and then stops.
Repeat.:

I tried all the tricks I saw by reading through old posts: I have flushed the system with shore water. Opened all water, including the shower. One thing I can't figure out is where a 'check valve' might be. (I think it is buried under my closet on the street side). Someone mentioned this a potential problem, although someone else said the Shur Flo has one built in. I really don't know what all of that is about.

Someone else suggested driving around in case something is stuck in the system... said it worked for them. I will try that on my way to the repair guy.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for reading through this!

Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake View Post
I have done my research in the forums and am still stumped. When trying to get all systems running after the long winter I am having problems with the water pump.

Here's the deal:

This is a 2 year old Shur Flo in a 1974 Tradewind
The system runs fine on shore water.
When I turn on the pump it runs for a bit (building up pressure?) and holds (this tells me the system is intact?)
When I turn on the water it runs for 15 secs and then slows to a stop.
The pump continues to run for a minute or so and then stops.
Repeat.:

I tried all the tricks I saw by reading through old posts: I have flushed the system with shore water. Opened all water, including the shower. One thing I can't figure out is where a 'check valve' might be. (I think it is buried under my closet on the street side). Someone mentioned this a potential problem, although someone else said the Shur Flo has one built in. I really don't know what all of that is about.

Someone else suggested driving around in case something is stuck in the system... said it worked for them. I will try that on my way to the repair guy.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for reading through this!

Pam
First I'm no expert, but these are my ideas.

It does sound like a check valve problem. This is the check valve that keeps the water pump from pumping out through your unconnected city water connection. You might find the check valve in the area of the hot water heater.

To rule out a problem with the water pump disconnect the waterpump outlet and run it and see if the same thing happens.

It also sounds like it could be a clogged in line water filter or a clogged line from the water tank to the filter.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks Lumatic...

I am a little afraid to disconnect the water pump... I am assuming you mean for me to have a bucket ready? (see why I am afraid?!). I guess it is a basic system with water coming into one side and pumping out the other.

I will go online to see if I can find a picture of a check valve so I know what I am looking for.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I just looked online and it looks like the Shurflo has a built in check valve....
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The new pump may have a check but the old one might not have had one, and it could still be in the system.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks... didn't think of that. That's why I love this place. If I was left on my own there is no telling what I might get myself into!

So, does anyone have a picture of a check valve in place? I have no idea what I am looking for. Or how much one will cost. I have heard cheap, but someone just told me today they are expensive to replace.

Back to the forums search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
The new pump may have a check but the old one might not have had one, and it could still be in the system.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake View Post
Thanks... didn't think of that. That's why I love this place. If I was left on my own there is no telling what I might get myself into!

So, does anyone have a picture of a check valve in place? I have no idea what I am looking for. Or how much one will cost. I have heard cheap, but someone just told me today they are expensive to replace.

Back to the forums search.
The check valve is a brass thingy with 2 lines coming in (1 from city water and 1 from the pump) and 1 line coming out. No valve or any other controls on it. It might have an arrow to show direction of water flow. Yes they are cheap, the problem is in getting to them. If you are doing it yourself make sure you don't have an audience as I guarantee some very colorful adjectives (but that is more of a guy thing). That is what makes it expensive if you have it done by someone else.