Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Water pump chattering; do I need a new one?

Our water pump "chatters" and makes a lot more noise than when new. Is this a sign that I am going to have to buy a new one?

I like the ads about Shurflo quiet ones.....what do I "need"? IF I were to change pumps.

Finally found the pump; it is under the closet floor through a trap door.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
Our water pump "chatters" and makes a lot more noise than when new. Is this a sign that I am going to have to buy a new one?

I like the ads about Shurflo quiet ones.....what do I "need"? IF I were to change pumps.

Finally found the pump; it is under the closet floor through a trap door.
My suggestion would be to isolate the cause of the chatter first. With the pump running, hold your hand on it and see if it quiets down. It might have come loose from it's mount.
Next, follow the pressure and suction line and see if it rubs against a wall someplace. The lines vibrate in sync with the pump, and often are the real cause for the noise. If that's teh case, then it would be loudest just before the pump shuts off after you close the faucet.
If indeed you need new pump, and don't mind spending alittle money, then I would suggest the pump/accumulator combination that is offered by some of the pump manufacturers. Those usually run very quiet, and provide a very smooth flow of water.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My pump makes more noise if I do not remove all of the air from the lines. When I charge up the lines I work from the back of the trailer (my pump is towards the front) to the front opening the faucets untill the flow is smooth. My pump is never quiet when it operates.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
If you want quiet, get a variable speed pump. I put one in my 2002 25ss, and can hardly hear it run. It was a simple replacement and was/is located under the closet floor like yours. It was worth the cost as far as I am concerned.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you for the replies/suggestions people. Once again I am grateful for The Forum and all of you who take time to share your expertise/experience.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Water Pump Isolation

Kistler,

I had a problem with the water pump and lines making a lot of noise and read the pump instructions - the pump should be installed flexible connections. After my AS dealer explained the factory doesn't do it that way, I purchased the flex connections from the local hardware store and installed them, along with a Sureflo accumulator ( Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Camping World).

The rattling is gone, and the pump noise is noticeably quieter and comes on a little less often. Attached is a picture of the installation.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump flex connection pb.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	29938  

- Larry
lwp99 is offline   Reply With Quote