Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #61

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfred
Because their is some type of gate on the outlet side of the pump, then air or antifreeze cannot be forced back into the pump.

Thats it in a nutshell so far. So what am i going to do, when i pick up my unit ? ( in about a week ) Well I'll see what my pick up dealer also suggests but probably go with just blowing out the lines as AS hq. suggested. Frankly i would rather have a quiter Sure-flow pump than the Aquajet pump,so if it freezes thats OK !!!
Fred
Interesting because the question is will the pump sucking air displace enough water on the intake side of the pump? I guess the folks at JC feel that any residule water left is not enough to cause any damage. Maybe they know a lot more about the innards of the input side of the pump than we do. I know I'd be fearful, but then again I error to the cautious side. My guess is that if the pump is damaged due to freeze, no one at JC will admit to telling you this, and probably they will not replace it under warranty.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #62
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfred
...My local dealer does not use air but instead pumps antifreeze through the city water connection (same fashion) until it reaches all plumb fixtures....
sure fred but they winterize many units and HAVE a pump setup that will fill from the freshwater port.

most of us do not have an electric pump outside that can be used to push antifreeze into the lines...

a hand pump would work too but again not many have this contraption and the proper fittings.

that's why we use the nifty bypass kit.

once installed, it's always available and takes 3 minutes tops to flood the lines, fixtures and traps.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #63
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I know what A/S says over the phone as I asked the same question Fred. But they are the guys who designed this and now they are covering their tracks, so I tend not to believe what they say. What they write in the manual is different, so erring on the side of more rather than less (sort of 2erring, that being human), I put antifreeze in the fresh water tank and I will eventually install the kit. I know in the spring I will be flushing lots of water through the fresh water tank, but better than repairing anything.

I thought of letting the pump freeze so I could get a quieter one, but that made as much sense to me as running the tires at low pressure so I could get better ones sooner. Not the best analogy, I admit.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Fitting to help draining the hot water tank...

Hi Howard (blkmagikca from Nepean, Ontario):

Quote:

Howard
I happened to see this picture from one of your posts (10-11-2007) as I was reading some of the "stuff" on airforums.com and I went right away to the store to get the same... It is a very good idea. Thank for sharing it!

André Doré
Mont-Laurier, QC
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Yesterday while using the black tank flush system for the first time on my newly acquired 2008 Classic 25FB the plastic check valve broke and sprayed water behind the shower enclosure. Water seeped into the hallway. During the clean up I took the access panel down from under the fridge to check for water flooding and luckily none to be found. I did find the water filter for the pump buried way in the back. I figured I'd remove it and clean it out since I doubt the PO hadn't performed this task given the trailer had just light use.

It appears you need to remove the heat ducting from the T section to have better access. Is the water pump filter connect by two nuts so it can be removed? Do you just black flush it under a water faucet or should I just get a new one?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #66
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you use an exterior water filter, the pump filter should stay clean. If you can, remove the pump, turn it around and reattach it. I had ours turned around and got Airstream to pay for it under warranty. Getting Airstream to pay for it required a letter to the president of Thor.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote