Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Unhappy Water Pump

Hello again.

I am looking for some input regarding my whacky, litteraly, pump. This is the scenario. I turn the pump on at the panel. I lift the handle and the water flows. Water will flow in both the kitchen and bathroom for a while and then, bingo, no water pump. If I go back to the pump, it is in the bin under my wardrobe (1978 Soveriegn), it will start again if I open the door to the wardrobe, or if I open the panel to the bin or at last resort if I whack it with an object, ie the flashlight. any of these things may start it. So far it has always started up. I figured it was a loose connection, but after lots of searching and looking with the flashlight, all the wires seem to be firmly connected. Unless there are wires underneath I think I have checked them all. OH yeah, once it tried to start when I rapidly flipped the switch on and off in the bathroom. My plumber for the camping site, he installs pumps for wells, speculates that the pump is wearing out and may need new brushes. He said he though it may be heating up and stopping, but if that is true then why does it start up when I jiggle it or its cabinet or whack it immediately after it stops?

JLD
Old 10-31-2002, 08:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Whack It!

Sounds like a bad ground. Clean the terminals with a wire brush,
check for any corrosion at the pump and the switch. Water pumps are a relatively inexpensive replacement item in the worse case.

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Thanks DMC. The ground wire seems to be correctly attached to the pump. Does that mean the problem is in where the wire has been routed to metal for grounding? I can clearly see where it goes. Joan
Old 11-01-2002, 06:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Check them all out!

Check out ANY of the connections to the pump ... both ground and hot side. Battery/univolt to switch ... switch to pump ... and back to ground. I would loosen and clean each connection.

You may not be able to see the "bad" spots without removal of the wires.

It could be a bad preasure solinoid. This is the preasure switch that kicks the pump on when the preasure get low in the line.

Maybe start thinking ...... new shurflo?

http://www.shurflo.com/

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote