Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
water pressure problems

So, I decided to take some chances and took our 1980 caravelle out for a 2 week trip, 3 days after having picked it up from liverpool harbour..... Needless to say (especially as I am new to caravanning, let alone airstreams) that I had some system issues to resolve while on the road.

The one issue I have not been able to resolve is the fresh water system. The caravan supposedly has been used regularly and when I bought it the seller claimed all systems were working properly. Lets assume that that is true.

There is hardly any water coming out of the cold and hot water taps (from kitchen, shower or washbasin) and the pump keeps on running when I close all taps. I have tried taking out all air from the system per the manual (run pump with taps, cold and warm, opened marginally), checked for water leaks which I cannot find, closed the toilet water line, but no success.

The shurflow manual suggets that if the pump keeps on running air maybe trapped in the hot water tank (but that should have been sorted by letting the hot water taps open for a while) or air may be trapped in the pump.

How do you bleed the water pump of all air? Should the pump be able to do that by itself?

When I received the trailer, there actually was water in the watertank: pinkish, not smelling very nice (a bit chemical). I cleaned it with clorine solution, washed it with fresh, all with the pump via a t bracket just after the pump which has a 2 yard hose connected to it which can be led outside and can be shut off. That hose also did not have a lot of pressure with the pump on: It kind of overflows rather that water coming out with any kind of pressure. A thumb with light pressure can stop the flow (and the pump keeps on going, all taps being closed).

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Wiebe
turfclubroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
1... the pump may be defective or have something caught in it.

2... more likely there is an air leak somewhere between the pump and the tank , try tightening the connection at the tank and the pump . Also check the inline filter if there is one.

3... one of the drain valves is open from winterizing. Check the owners manual for location.

Good luck and happy camping
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree...it sounds like the pump is "sucking air" somehow, somewhere...instead of pulling water as it should. A leak near the pump? A clogged filter? Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A good test if you have access to city water is to hook up and seeing what the pressure is. Low pressure look for an open drain or broken pipe. Good pressure look at the pump or the piping from the pump to the tank.

If you do not have access to city water. First I would remove the piping from the out put side of the pump. Now install a short length of hose, 3 or 4 ft, and close off the end of that hose. Start the pump. It should shut down in seconds if it and the piping to the tank are in good order.

If it does not shut down remove the piping from the input side and again install a short "clear" hose to the input side. Now put that hose in a bucket of water, you may have to prime this hose to insure the pump can make a vacuum. Turn the pump on and again it should shut off in seconds.

If it does not shut down and you could see that the pump did at least draw water into the hose I would say the pump is bad. Either one of the valves is broken or something is on the valve seat.

If it did shut off in short order you now have to check the piping from the pump back to the tank.

As for the Pink Stuff that is antifreeze and you should flush the system well as it has been known to effect ones bowels.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
checked in the way suggested, pump was not working. As it was the original pump I thought it best to replace..... bingo got water..... how ever no I have issues with water heater. Will post q on that forum

thx every one

Wiebe
turfclubroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Guys, I sort of have a similar problem. I'm full timing, hooked up to city water at a park. I have a 1999 34' Excella. My water pressure for cold is excellent. But all of a sudden the hot water pressure seems very low. I have hot water, but not good pressure. What should I check?

Thanks! Anne
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Sound like you've got some goo lodged in the inlet side of your hot water lines to your faucets...do all faucets, kitchen, tub and bath all have low water pressure?

We had guck in the kitchen faucet - I tried to dislodge it, but couldn't and had to replace the entire faucet...

I believe the guck is generated in the water heater and finds it's way to the faucets...

I'm thinking of installing some kind of inline filter on the outlet side of the water heater to prevent this from happening again....

good luck...
Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
The pressure is bad in the bathroom and the kitchen. There is definately hot water, but it comes out very slow. As soon as you add the cold water to it, the pressure is back to normal. And I'm using electricity not gas, if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Anne
Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Do you have one of the "All-in-one hot water tank by-pass" valve bodies installed to ease winterization in your trailer? I do, in my storage compartment next to the hot water tank and have accidentally knocked that valve into the by-pass position hauling stuff out of the cubby... that resulted in naught but a trickle from the hot water lines.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
You know, I don't know if I do have that by-pass valve. But the valves all seem to be in the bathroom under the lav. I don't have a cubbie there, or if that is a cubbie under there it's mighty small...

Anyways, I still have a maint. man coming to look at it for me. I'll be thrilled if he can fix this as my showers are mightly long at the rate the hot water comes out! Ha.