Old 06-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
water pressure or water pump?

Forgive me for asking such basic questions but: We just bought our first TT, a 59 A/S 18 footer and are in the process of restoring/updating it.

My question concerns the fresh water tank and how it works. (Our model didn't come with a shower so I'm guessing that's why it doesn't have a water heater? ) There is a large galvanized, round tank which must have been located under a front couch (which isn't there anymore)... It appears it mounted throught the front just behind the lp tanks?

Did this system use pressure from a garden type hose to force water to the toilet and sink or has a pump been removed from the closet or under the sink?

And after I replace the tank with a new plastic unit, should I install a demand driven pump?

59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
Originally pressure was supplied by a small air compressor or bicycle pump. A new tank will require a demand pump.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1959 18' "Footer"
Trabuco Canyon , California
We have a 1959 California built Traveller with a factory Carlson air compressor system installed on the fresh water tank. Even with the air compessor system it is hard to get enough water pressure for the sprayer nozzle in the bathroom to be effective in rinsing the toilet. We use a spray bottle or a cup of water. I am not sure if there was another small pressure tank with a hand pump in the bathroom or what. Our trailer is in very good original condition and I can send you pictures of any portions of the trailer if you have more questions on the original set up. I would love to see pictures of your Traveler (and anybody else out there with a Traveler) to see how different the trailers are. I think you find that every AS is unique in some way.

geokid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
San Antonio, TX
Vintage water pump ('59)

Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Originally pressure was supplied by a small air compressor or bicycle pump. A new tank will require a demand pump.

How would I hook up a compressor to our system? the water inlet with some sort of adapter? ...we have the stainless steel tank and I have removed the pump under the sink. Using a compressor seems like a good idea - might come in handy if tires needed air. I was considering this rather than putting in a demand pump.

Thanks and happy 4th!
jlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote