Old 08-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Water/Hot Water 2018 Classic

We took delivery of our 2018 30' Classic yesterday. We are experiencing some issues using water and hot water. It certainly could be a newbie user issue.

We are connected to city water and electric. The trailer had a full tank of fresh water on delivery. We connected to city water and it is showing 40 psi of pressure on the regulator. To get enough pressure, we have the water pump also running. Is this normal/acceptable?

We have turned on the water heater. (The first time, it tripped the breaker at the pole because one of the AC units was running.) This morning we tried water heater again and actually added the shower boost and we are only getting seconds of warmish water in the sink faucet. Is there something we are doing wrong?

All advice welcome!

Old 08-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You don't need the pump on when you are on city water.
Did you make sure the water heater was full before turning it on? Otherwise you may have fried the heating element.
Was the coach winterized when you took delivery?

Old 08-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Water/Hot Water 2018 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
We took delivery of our 2018 30' Classic yesterday. We are experiencing some issues using water and hot water. It certainly could be a newbie user issue.

We are connected to city water and electric. The trailer had a full tank of fresh water on delivery. We connected to city water and it is showing 40 psi of pressure on the regulator. To get enough pressure, we have the water pump also running. Is this normal/acceptable?

We have turned on the water heater. (The first time, it tripped the breaker at the pole because one of the AC units was running.) This morning we tried water heater again and actually added the shower boost and we are only getting seconds of warmish water in the sink faucet. Is there something we are doing wrong?

All advice welcome!

The shower boost takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get the water temperature up to 149 to 151 degrees. I thought the 2018's had the new Alde on demand system? Ours is a 2017. There is a great thread on the forum called "Much Ado About Alde". Search for that and you will find many answers. Things are different on the 17's and 18's and most of that thread will be referring to the 17's, but it will still help understanding the system better. We have a separate Alde Control Panel and my understanding is that your Alde controls are integrated in your Firefly panel.
Not sure but if you're water pump is on you might be pulling from your fresh water tank. Also, if you added an inline pressure regulator outside you are reducing your pressure significantly since the trailer has a built in water pressure regulator.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Water and power basics:

The pressure into the regulator should be up around 50 pounds or so. Coming out, anything over 30 pounds should be "good enough. My guess is that you are running through a really long hose and that is giving you a pressure issue. A typical hose run is < 25 feet.

Running both the pump and city water is not a real good idea. It should be an either / or kind of thing.

The "old" Alde system had two electric heaters and one LP driven heater. To get it rip roaring hot you turned on all three.

At the sink (on the older system), the normal "hot water" is what I would call very warm water. Without the shower boost it's not what I would call hot. How hot it gets is adjustable. One dealer likely sets it different than the next. Since it's a mix valve, very cold city water will give you "colder" hot water. Hotter hot water used to mean you got less of it before it died.

The 30' Classic is quite capable of tripping a 30A breaker running one AC unit. You *do* have to watch what you have turned on. When hooked up to a "50A" system, you have 100A of 120V available.(yes, it's confusing). That's what the trailer was designed for.

Bob
Old 08-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
When we are connected to 30amp, just to be sure, we only run the rear AC, which is the 13.5 AC. We also do not generally run the microwave when the AC is on. When connected to 50amp we "let her rip".

As others have said we understand that the 2018 has continuous hot water, so to speak, and therefore your flow should not be intermittent. If your trailer has the same Kohler handle and shower head our 2017 does there is an anti scald device on the Kohler handle I disconnected on our unit and now with the 2017 we get more than enough continuous hot water for two fairly long showers ie enough for my wife to wash her hair and our two regular showers. Also, as suggested I'd read every post in the "much ado about Alde" in these forums. It should answer a lot of your questions.

Bud
paiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The "old" Alde system had two electric heaters and one LP driven heater. To get it rip roaring hot you turned on all three.

Bob

According to the Alde manual if you are hooked to shore power and turn on the gas as well, the system will prioritize the electric and not use the gas. That has been my experience. We had major hot water issues after delivery like many others with 2017's. We tried everything including having the electric and gas on at the same time. It will use the electric and not the gas...at least in our unit.
Kudos go to Jon at Airstream and the service team at JC. They stuck with me and went out of there way to get the system working correctly. We now have plenty of hot water when hooked to shore power.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Depending on the city water, I used to turn on the pump during showers for a higher flowrate.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
AJ....better or worse today?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
AJ, a quick look at your owners manual and the Alde phone app gives no clues, actually less than the 17 Alde. If your model number, 3020?, might be able to read manual at Alde website.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One obscure thing to check: Is your glycol fluid level up where it should be? There may be interactions between an "air filled" glycol chamber and the water heater. I'd *hope* the days of un-filled heating systems are behind us. Some issues do go on and on ..... Details on how to check the fluid system are all in the previously mentioned thread. Hopefully the 2018 is close enough to a 2017 for them to apply.

Bob
Old 08-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
The shower boost takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get the water temperature up to 149 to 151 degrees. I thought the 2018's had the new Alde on demand system? Ours is a 2017. There is a great thread on the forum called "Much Ado About Alde". Search for that and you will find many answers. Things are different on the 17's and 18's and most of that thread will be referring to the 17's, but it will still help understanding the system better. We have a separate Alde Control Panel and my understanding is that your Alde controls are integrated in your Firefly panel.
Not sure but if you're water pump is on you might be pulling from your fresh water tank. Also, if you added an inline pressure regulator outside you are reducing your pressure significantly since the trailer has a built in water pressure regulator.
After reading a number of issues about the OEM pressure regulator, I continue to use my Valtera regulator which is set for 50-55 P.S.I.
It not only ensures that the supplied regulator is working in a safer pressure zone; it also protects the hose from bursting due to campground overpressures.
My main sink was not giving much flow, so I removed the aeriator from the faucet. Much better flow.

Another thing to check, is that the outside shower taps are fully closed. They can bypass hot and cold water, giving warm.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One obscure thing to check: Is your glycol fluid level up where it should be? There may be interactions between an "air filled" glycol chamber and the water heater. I'd *hope* the days of un-filled heating systems are behind us. Some issues do go on and on ..... Details on how to check the fluid system are all in the previously mentioned thread. Hopefully the 2018 is close enough to a 2017 for them to apply.

Bob
GLYCOL??? in Water system????
DEADLY COMBO!
REALLY, REALLY FLUSH IT OUT!!
OR PAY THE FUNERAL COSTS!!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Mel, relax. We are talking about the 17 and 18 Classics OnLY. These two models have radiant heat systems that no other units have. At least none that I know of...they use a special glycol based product. That is what Bob was talking about.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Somewhat like the hot water/glycol base board heating of the 70s, except there is a heater with circulating pump for the fluid in the tubing.

Hopefully no leaks ever develop.

But wait, it is an Airstream......

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote