Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyet View Post
Everyone speaks of being connected to power throughout except for a handful of posts. My ALDE in my previous trailer of 4 years provided plenty of hot water when boon docking. Is this a Firefly issue or is the Classic 2018 not really a camper? I am still trying to get hot water in my shower. Please, no suggestions as it has spent much time at a dealer and at JC (plus early on all of the suggestions). The first 2 weeks I owned it (on electric and before it went to the dealer to repair the AC and get heat) I had wicked hot showers. Never since.
If this unit is not set up to camp, folks looking to buy an AS unit might want to know ahead of time so they can pick a different model. I only ask because it was suggested on Airstream Addicts to a buyer who was unsatisfied and also to me by JC that "they" suggest having a generator with this model. I had never heard this or seen this in advertising for the unit and I was very transparent about my intended use. Just looking for input here as I will ask AS to take back this unit (6-7 months of still no regular ability to use my full time home) and try a different model. I prefer to boondock more than not and the style and size for full time is magnificent. I will happily follow weather because much of my work is done remotely. Can this thing Camp?
We have a pre-Alde, pre-Firefly 2016 Classic and think it is better set up for boondocking than 2017+, if for no other reason that we don't have electric tank heaters with our forced air furnace. The furnace might be a bit loud, but heats the trailer more quickly. No issue getting enough hot water out of the normal water heater. I much prefer not having Firefly, so that I can maintain the trailer myself and not need to have a dealer or repair tech on speed dial when out of warranty. I also don't need to change the Alde fluid every couple of years and don't have to worry about junk falling into the Alde radiator gaps.

Others seem to like the upgrades on the 2017 and 2018 Classics, but I doubt most boondock much. We are happy to have a 2016, which we think is more boondock freindly.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:23 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Perhaps too many gimmicks to get them all working properly at the same time in the 2018 Classic? Since there are plus and minus ranges of of acceptable behavior or build quality, too many one way or the other can cause the contraption not to work.

We modified our 2014 31' Classic with nine 100 watt solar panels and a 600 amp-hour lithium battery. Our water heater is an instant on demand Truma "Aqua-Go comfort" propane only water heater and the Vitrifrigo 12Vdc refrigerator runs off the battery just fine. No issues boon-docking.

Sometimes simpler is better.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:52 AM   #163
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Seems like the more stuff added to new trailers to make them house like also makes them less of a trditional camper! If i had the money for new i would spend it on sonething a lot more traditional like campers used to be. All the hot water heating, ekectric awning, macerator pump, electric recliners abd tables, inverters, and all the electronic sound system problems are laughable to a lot of us. The old days...check tire pressure, check batteries, check lp, check lights and brakes and hook up and go!!!now??????
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #164
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Boy, I sure wish I could go back to buying a block of ice every couple of days to keep the icebox sort of cold ...

I'll take the new stuff any day.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:34 AM   #165
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
Overlander I will have to agree regarding having the Firefly. That seems to be the big hiccup with the 2018's. Because I have a 2018 that came off the line mid 2017 there wasn't any info at the time of the changes to the Firefly controls AS decided to do from the previous year. Having owned the ALDE for 4 years I honestly cannot understand how it could be so dysfunctional in the 2018

Kendrick, thanks for the input. I happen to own a generator which I have now used in extreme weather because I needed to use the tank heaters (which is reasonable to me). However I am a tad surprised with all of the info on these forums you are not aware of all of the rules (state parks etc.) and general pushback by boondockers to not want to be around people using generators out in the beauty and peace of nature?

I have yet to figure out why I can't with extreme limited use of anything in the trailer (literally only fridge, water pump for a few minutes max, and little use of the overhead lights to scream through dinner) get through a full day without my batteries being run down to 50%. I have factory installed solar (which I know isn't great). With another trailer I ran the ALDE, inverter, lights, stereo, fridge and anything I wanted with only one battery and no solar for 5 days at a time. As it is now I don't even dare run the inverter. I do get through an overnight with just heat and lights if I have been driving all day. Still would kill for a hot shower (it has now become storage) but I love, love, love ALDE heat. Which is why I passed on the 2015 I was going to buy.
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:54 AM   #166
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Boy, I sure wish I could go back to buying a block of ice every couple of days to keep the icebox sort of cold ...

I'll take the new stuff any day.

Bob
You are missing the point. Will not even try to explain. Some like all the new stuff with the problems, some dont. Enjoy What you Have And Go Camping.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:55 AM   #167
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
Kyet,
I would get your dealer to do a load test on your batteries. Sometimes they are damaged, because the dealers leave them on the lot and drain them to zero. If you have solar, your batteries should be AGM. If they are bad they should be replaced under warranty.
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #168
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
You are missing the point. Will not even try to explain. Some like all the new stuff with the problems, some dont. Enjoy What you Have And Go Camping.
Hi

Well, about 98% of the owners of the newer trailers don't have any problems with the new stuff..... Certainly no more trouble than the very normal upkeep of any system (like going out for a block of ice, cleaning the burners, ....).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #169
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some of the new tech is unnecessarily comp!icatedfor a questionable advantage or imlrovement.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hank View Post
Kyet,
I would get your dealer to do a load test on your batteries. Sometimes they are damaged, because the dealers leave them on the lot and drain them to zero. If you have solar, your batteries should be AGM. If they are bad they should be replaced under warranty.
It’s yet another strange happening. The system worked, had other work done, no longer worked, replaced, now barely works. Batteries have been replaced once. I guess we will dig in again this week now that the holidays are over. Same for hot water. This thing rocks when I’m hooked to power and I have a campground shower to use. It’s home. But in 3 weeks I hit the desert for three months. Today I work on getting propane tank gauges to start “reading” again. Aaghh.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Since I have the convenience of having our coach next to the house I went out and did some crawling around my Alde.
My coach is a Sept 2017 build. It has an Alde 3010 with no evidence of a preheater in the space with it.
Turns out I didn't dig enough. When I took the forward skirt of the dinette off the Alde Flow was very evident. From the back side it was buried in the plumbing etc.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #172
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Turns out I didn't dig enough. When I took the forward skirt of the dinette off the Alde Flow was very evident. From the back side it was buried in the plumbing etc.
But, does it make hot water?
Old 01-06-2018, 06:58 AM   #173
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Some of the new tech is unnecessarily comp!icatedfor a questionable advantage or imlrovement.
The irrefutable law of diminishing returns!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #174
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
But, does it make hot water?
Good question. It didn't before I winterized. Now I have to wait for the spring thaw here in Idaho. I'll let you know.

Charlie
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #175
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
I slight step forward. Today I had sanitary water temp to 124 Degrees. A first. Lasted only 4 minutes. I have the valves in the right direction (except the funky photo#7 from the posts some time ago which won't budge and is to the left). Could it still be that valve that would only give me 4 minutes. Heating has been fine.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #176
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
I will say, no matter what, none of this works off of the Firefly. It all has to be done via spelunking under the sink.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:49 AM   #177
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
I slight step forward. Today I had sanitary water temp to 124 Degrees. A first. Lasted only 4 minutes. I have the valves in the right direction (except the funky photo#7 from the posts some time ago which won't budge and is to the left). Could it still be that valve that would only give me 4 minutes. Heating has been fine.

I don’t know what being “to the left” means, but that valve being open was what gave me hot water. According to AS, it is the valve that lets water into the area to be heated. I know that my husband had a difficult time getting it to move because of its location.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #178
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Pretty sure that valve should be open.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
I will say, no matter what, none of this works off of the Firefly. It all has to be done via spelunking under the sink.
Firefly will do it with newest software version and correct pin out for power cable. https://www.airforums.com/forums/att...5&d=1511210262
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #180
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Since all the valves seem to be in different positions (and they are open ) I can’t tell if this last one is open when the knob is spun left. Again, I get hot water but only 4 minutes worth.
The software and.correct cable and pin were swapped out at JC in November. Still does not call up shower boost or change gas or electrical settings on the actual ALDE panel. It fixed the lighting and the various heat and cooling sources from competing with each other though. And for a short while showed propane tank levels. That’s gone again.