Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #121
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
The SLC guys wouldn't do anything as its not an approved AS warranty work. No rumbles in SLC, but in Park City and Jordanelle, got the rumbles. I guess an orifice would work, but heard a second regulator for thinner air worked fine.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #122
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
The SLC guys wouldn't do anything as its not an approved AS warranty work. No rumbles in SLC, but in Park City and Jordanelle, got the rumbles. I guess an orifice would work, but heard a second regulator for thinner air worked fine.

I had a discussion with a gentleman at the ABQ Balloon Fiesta who has a 2017 Classic. He showed me the mod that he did- adding an adjustable regulator on the propane line at the tanks, which he adjusts to lower the gas pressure at altitudes above about 5000 ft. This brings the fuel/oxygen ratio back into the correct range, and yields reliable operation of the ALDE system. He mentioned that he still rears some rumbling/gurgling but it works ok.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #123
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
I had a discussion with a gentleman at the ABQ Balloon Fiesta who has a 2017 Classic. He showed me the mod that he did- adding an adjustable regulator on the propane line at the tanks, which he adjusts to lower the gas pressure at altitudes above about 5000 ft. This brings the fuel/oxygen ratio back into the correct range, and yields reliable operation of the ALDE system. He mentioned that he still rears some rumbling/gurgling but it works ok.
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 AM   #124
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Another question has emerged. We are still experimenting with our issues getting heat. So we left the trailer with the Alde on electric only set to a temperature of 62 and turned the propane off at tank. It must have been too warm to activate the heat because when we arrived last night, it was 68. But in the night as the temperature dropped well below 62 into the 50’s the Alde never kicked on. At 5AM, I upped the demand temperature on the panel to 85. The system came on. And now at almost 7 it is up to 64. Does that seem normal using electric only? I sent an email to Alde last week with a similar question, but have yet to hear anything from them. If I were to switch it to all propane, it would be toasty in 1/2 hr. Should there be such a discrepancy? AND why does the system only come on when there are wide discrepancies between requested and actual temperature? Does it have anything to do with the temperature adjustment setting on the Alde panel?
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #125
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
Another question has emerged. We are still experimenting with our issues getting heat. So we left the trailer with the Alde on electric only set to a temperature of 62 and turned the propane off at tank. It must have been too warm to activate the heat because when we arrived last night, it was 68. But in the night as the temperature dropped well below 62 into the 50’s the Alde never kicked on. At 5AM, I upped the demand temperature on the panel to 85. The system came on. And now at almost 7 it is up to 64. Does that seem normal using electric only? I sent an email to Alde last week with a similar question, but have yet to hear anything from them. If I were to switch it to all propane, it would be toasty in 1/2 hr. Should there be such a discrepancy? AND why does the system only come on when there are wide discrepancies between requested and actual temperature? Does it have anything to do with the temperature adjustment setting on the Alde panel?
Hi

I have a 2017 not a 2018 so things aren't quite the same. That said:

There is a sub menu on the Alde panel that lets you offset the temperature of the Alde system. You can poke at it so that the AC and Alde get along with each other. (In the 2017 they are separate systems). The temperature reading on the panel shows you what the Alde thinks the temperature is.

Sitting here with temps in the low 60's, we have no trouble holding 70's in the trailer with electric power. The little "I'm running" indicator comes on maybe every 30 minutes. It's not on for long. I'd guess that there is quite a bit of reserve.

Do I *know* that the temp outside is 62F? Nope, I'm relying on the weatherman. He often lies to me about rain later in the day. Why I'd trust him at all I don't know . Sitting here in the woods, things could be warmer outside the trailer. I do have a thermometer on the fridge. It agrees pretty well with the Alde.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:47 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Alde US has never responded to an email from me, and phone calls not much help either.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #127
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
jumping on this thread, brushing up on Alde
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Russ start with the combined Alde thread, it will keep you busy for a while and entertained. It's a great system.

Bud
Old 10-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Jump over to the “Much Ado About Alde” thread. Paiceman has made a new discovery relative to electric vs. propane and how it functions with the Alde. Manual is very poorly written.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #130

2017 27' International
Little Elm , Texas
There was an issue mentioned at the beginning of this post that seems to have gotten lost in the shower/hot water temperature discussion. Or, I just overlooked it. We just picked up our new 2018 classic and have plenty of hot water straight from the dealer. Heat also works well when turned on, however, after it reaches the initial set point, the system shuts down and will not restart automatically. It still shows “on” at the firefly panel, but the Alde panel is off and does not restart when the trailer temperature drops below the set temperature. It will restart either by turning the power on at the Alde panel or by turning it off and back on at the firefly panel. Any known solution to this issue? Seems to be a software issue between the panels? I’ve emailed airstream and the dealer, but thought I would also post here since it seems those of us in the field have more experience/solutions for these issues.
dlcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #131
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would suggest giving JC a call on Monday and see what they say about the shutdown issue. It does sound like firmware. It *could* be something else ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
There have been several firmware issues reported in these threads concerning the 2018 Firefly / Alde / AC functions and also reported there was a quick and easy fix at JC with a further note that JC was going to notify dealers of these available fixes. I'd call JC on this one.

Bud
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #133
2 Rivet Member

Big Stone Gap , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
There have been several firmware issues reported in these threads concerning the 2018 Firefly / Alde / AC functions and also reported there was a quick and easy fix at JC with a further note that JC was going to notify dealers of these available fixes. I'd call JC on this one.

Bud

Ours turns on but sometimes doesn’t turn off! Lol. The other day it was set to sixty while we were gone but when we returned the next day it was 86!
ward143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #134
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Anybody got the Alde Flow to provide continuous hot water?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 AM   #135
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Anybody got the Alde Flow to provide continuous hot water?

I would say that we did. I would like to have more time testing it and playing with the settings. (And having the new Firefly update), but I think the only time I ran out of the temperature water I wanted was the time I got out of the shower to find the shower boost had turned off. And I wasn't sure why that happened. It could have been the time ran out.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #136
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I think what James is asking, and I would also be interested to hear is that is any of the 2018 Classic have hot water lasting longer than, oh say, 15 minuets of un-interrupted use. I know I have hot water for 12 minuets before I notice a cooling of. The 2018 were supposed to have larger tanks and a more powerful unit. I think I read that the new system was supposed to have unlimited hot water. Is that happening?

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:49 AM   #137
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I think what James is asking, and I would also be interested to hear is that is any of the 2018 Classic have hot water lasting longer than, oh say, 15 minuets of un-interrupted use. I know I have hot water for 12 minuets before I notice a cooling of. The 2018 were supposed to have larger tanks and a more powerful unit. I think I read that the new system was supposed to have unlimited hot water. Is that happening?

And that is the question I am answering. My experience has been limited because of we have had to winterize, but in the times that we have used our shower since getting the hot water working, we had plenty of hot water for back to back showers, which is probably a combined 20-25 minutes. I don't turn the water off while showering, and had plenty of hot water for my 10-15 minute shower, but my husband does. As I said before, the one time the water started to cool when I was taking a shower, I got out to find the shower boost which ups the temperature of the hot water for showering off, which explains to me the decrease in water temperature. What I was unsure of was why the shower boost deactivated.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:59 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
And that is the question I am answering. My experience has been limited because of we have had to winterize, but in the times that we have used our shower since getting the hot water working, we had plenty of hot water for back to back showers, which is probably a combined 20-25 minutes. I don't turn the water off while showering, and had plenty of hot water for my 10-15 minute shower, but my husband does. As I said before, the one time the water started to cool when I was taking a shower, I got out to find the shower boost which ups the temperature of the hot water for showering off, which explains to me the decrease in water temperature. What I was unsure of was why the shower boost deactivated.
In the 2017 models the shower boost when activated turns off the heating elements in the Alde boiler to concentrate all energy to the hot water aspect of the system. This activation lasts 20 minutes, then the system turns back to "normal" operation with both the heating element and the hot water systems on but no hot water shower boost operating. A simple push of the button and the supplemental shower boost can be turned back on and heating element off.

Bud
Old 11-16-2017, 04:02 AM   #139
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
In the 2017 models the shower boost when activated turns off the heating elements in the Alde boiler to concentrate all energy to the hot water aspect of the system. This activation lasts 20 minutes, then the system turns back to "normal" operation with both the heating element and the hot water systems on but no hot water shower boost operating. A simple push of the button and the supplemental shower boost can be turned back on and heating element off.

Bud

I do know that. It just didn't seem as if I had taken a 20 minute shower, but the combined time from activating until cool down could have been 20 minutes. And that particular instance, I didn't know why the temperature decreased. Next time, I will be sure to be calling for my husband to push that shower boost again!
Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #140
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Hi Bud, my test run showed a 30 minute timer, like the Alde manual describes, and all the Boost function does is turn off the heat circulating pump for 30 mins, so all the heat from electric elements or gas stays in the boiler to heat shower water. Still cycles the heating water 165 - 155, preference to electric.

But that is for 2017, 3010 boiler, without Alde Flow, and Firefly interface. Since no manual for 2018 Alde 3020 or Alde Flow, who knows what is their settings.