Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #1

Leavenworth , Kansas
water heater's burner not staying on

I have a State Select gas water heater and after I drained it to change the drain, the burner won't stay lit. The pilot stays lit, but not the burner. I've changed the thermocouple, removed the burner assembly and cleaned it, and vacuumed out the inside but still no luck. Once I light the pilot and the burner comes on, it stays lit for about 30-60 minutes, but then the flame on the burner is gone. Is this normal??? Or do I need to replace the gas control valve?
christinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Silly question but did you move the selector on the gas valve from pilot position to the heat position. If you replaced the thermocouple make sure that the connection to the gas valve is tight. A poor connection ther may cause the pilot to extinguish. From the sound of it though the gas valve may be defective. I would need more info to properly daignose the problem.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
After an hour it should shut off because the water is hot.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
oops

I didnt read your original post correctly. Your water heater is operating properly. Ignore my previous post
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote