Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
Water heater won't light

Happy new year to my friends on the forum. I have a 75 international with original water heater. After struggling with the furnace to light ( this is my first winter with the airstream), I tried to light the water heater. Full propane tanks, but no pilot light. The controls look suspect to me, the plastic selector knob is brittle and hard to move to pilot. I am thinking new control and pilot, is this possible? or doI just get a new heater? I am actually more leery of gas systems than I am of electrical. at least I will try to find an electrical problem, chances are I wont kill myself or someone else. Gas, gee, rather not take chances. Help or any advice will be appreciated. Richard inTexas.. 75 international, 68 international, 69 Safari and 68 Safari.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Sometimes spiders build nests in gas lines if you have air compressor blow out the pilot line mine was plugged last spring .

Old 01-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Lots of possibilities on why it won't light, hard to cover them all here on the forum. But if it is an original '75 heater it is 39 years old now and probably the best advice is to just replace it. The cost of repair would be quite high and you still have an old unit.

I got this ad the other day, only $338 and has modern electronic ignition too.

Atwood 6 Gallon Water Heater Electronic Ignition RV Camper - $338..
Old 09-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I found pig tail into propane tank not quite tight but tight enough for reefer & furnace to run, screwed tight now every thing lights. May be spiders or weak gas, loosen gas line from control if gas flow okay then maybe spiders or bad thermocouple or control, if pilot lights blue, then if yellow flame [sooty] or no flame then spiders in burner orifice, as thermocouple lets gas to pilot that keeps burner lit. If replacing pilot [thermocouple] or control pm me I can give you atwood part #s for old style heaters G10B as they are av. on ebay reasonably priced. Bill
Old 09-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would not put any money into an original water heater on that age trailer. Time for a new one.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
We have the original Atwood heater on our 1980 and am also having issues getting it to light. We have propane to all of the other appliances and they are operational. Our control (pilot) dial is in good condition and rotates easily to the "Pilot" and "On" positions. Our issue seems to be that the red button we need to press next to the dial is stuck. Every time I pass by, I try to press it down, but still no luck. There is some rust under the button...
Suggestions?
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would suggest replacing the heater with a new heater. I was struggling with a older, direct ignition, heater and finally got it to where it would light reliably. Then it blew out in a hail storm and caught itself on fire when it relit. All that burned was the wiring and electronic box in the heater. Lucky for us. I like the new heater and the nice blue flame a lot better. I got one of the gas-electric so we can run it on elect. if we want to leave it on.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you sure you have it lined up with the notch? There is a notch that the red button must clear before it can be depressed.
Give it a shot of WD 40. Let it soak. Make sure it is lined up and try again.
A heater of that age may have issues where the burner tube is close to the end of it's life. It's hard to tell how many hours of operation it has on it.
If there is water running out the burner tube. It is shot.
Do NOT light it without water in the tank!

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 10-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Bill - Thanks for the info. Do you mind my asking what brand/model you opted for?

TG - Thank you for the info as well. The notch on the pilot dial is definitely lined up, as that was one thing that the manual made really clear. It is also full of water, but the burner tube and the section of the tube where you can adjust the air intake is rusty. I started the WD 40 shot every day or so, but still no movement at all. It is really holding firm.

WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote