Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Unhappy Water Heater Wiring

I have a 73' Argosy I am putting a new Atwood 6 gallon LP/Elec water heater into.

My question is electrical..........

Below the question is a cut and paste from a previous question that describes my wiring.

The old UniVolt was hard wired in. The new WFCO is a plug in (15 amp plug).

There is the old hard wire there that I was thinking of running to the new water heater. Conveinent, easy, and fast. Is the circuit going to take it??

Cut and Paste.....

I have a new converter coming for the 26' Argosy.

The AC box has 2 ea 20 amp breakers. But the plug in for the trailer looks like 30 amp.

My question is that I am sure I need to up grade to 50 amps with the new additions. But not sure.

Here's the major users of AC

*Armstrong A/C
*New Atwood 6 gal Lp/Electric Wtr Htr
*WFCO WF-9865
*Small Microwave
*LCD TV

Do I need to get a 50 amp trailer power cord??

Do I need 50 amp?? (I would think so)

I was thinking of a 50 amp box with 1 ea 20 amp for A/C;1 ea 20 amp for Wtr Htr; 1 ea 10 amp for Micro; and 1 ea 10 amp for the rest??

My lack of electrical knowledge is likely dangerous......

Any suggestions are appreciated..... Thanks
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yo're ok with two 20a breakers and two 15a breakers. Don't use 10a breakers. Stay with 30a cord and main breaker.

Worst case, you will want to turn off the breaker for the water heater when the A/C is running.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
So I need to install a new box with 4 breakers??? (2 ea 20amp and 2 ea 15amp)

With no wiring diagram available for this I am puzzled......
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You'll need a six or eight slot main lugs panel, with an added ground bar. The six slot panel box will let you mount a 30a main breaker and 4 individual breakers. You need a separate ground bar, the neutral bar is not bonded to ground.

I would recommend you have a professional electrician do this. Have him or her review Art. 551 of the NEC, as some requirements for RVs are different from home or commercial wiring.

You can find wiring diagrams for recent model airstreams at the Airstream website. No reason you need to use 1973 wiring diagrams, the 2003 diagrams are just as good. Here's a link to wiring diagrams, go to pages G-29 to G-36.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sundance,

Markdoane has excellent suggestions. You might easily solve your problem by adding a compatible AC/DC distribution panel for your WFCO. It will contain the breaker slots that you need, plus a new DC fuse panel.

If you have any questions, you can contact 68 Overlander. Randy is a Forum member and owns Best RV Supply. He stocks exactly what you need to do a professional installation.

You don't need 50 amp service, but will possibly have to limit your simultaneous usage of the air conditioner and microwave/water heater (on electric) unless the combined draw is less than 30 amps. Check the rating labels on the appliances and ad up the running amp draw. This will give you a better picture of what you can do.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote