Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
water heater wiring

I bought an atwood 10 gal. electronic ignition water heater to replace the original. The original had a 3 wire black harness with a plug connected to the front of the heater, The rear access for the thermostat has been altered, two wires connected there. My problem is that the new heater has three wires, one is for low voltage..blue, the others I guess a re for 12 v.. says battery and ground. What is the black wire assembly on the old one, where does it feed from, looks like an extension cord, but cant find the source., unless it ties in to the univolt or in that area. It does not have power to it, dont know why. Please help and tell me how and what to connect the new wires from the heater to ?? what. There is an inside switch with the new one, I am thinking put voltage to the new switch.. but what is considered low voltage for the blue wire? confused and no hot water.
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Atwood WH

Hello Dixie722. If you Google "atwood mobile products" Click on atwood home page, water heaters. When it comes up, on the right side you will see manuals. Click on electronic ignition and the manual will come up. On page 2 or 3 (I think) there is a wiring diagram of how it is wired. If it's an electronic ignition model it will require a switch somewhere, usually on the inside, that has a red light that will light for a second when the switch is operated, then go out and you can hear the spark trying to ignite the burner. If the burner ignites, the red light will remain out, but after so many tries the burner fails to light, the red light will come back on. To try again to restart the burner you must turn the switch off and wait a few minutes before trying again.
Good luck. happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote