Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2003, 10:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Water Heater T&P 99 Bambi Leaking, need advice

The water heater Temp. and Pressure safety valve in my 99 Bambi has started to leak. I read in the plumbing forum that the water heater T&P may be replaced with a replacement T & P from a local plumbing supplier or a home improvement supplier.

Has anyone replaced one recently in a model similar to my 99 Bambi? Results? I think the 99 Bambi has a standard 6 gallon water heater installed.

I also read in the plumbing forum to remove the T&P and use a calcuim remover to renovate. I am reluctant to do this since I do not want to risk having the current valve stick and cause a serious problem.

Thanks for your reply.

Jim
Old 12-18-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Go to a hardware store and get another. They are cheap,
Be sure to use teflon tape on the threads, and wrap the tape clockwise as you face the threads, that way you tighten the tape.
as you screw it in.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
air bubble

try reintroducing an air bubble into your heater before you change out the valve.

your water heater needs airspace to work properly, drain and refill. see if it stops dripping.

the airspace in the top of the tank is small and becomes absorbed after a while. it is needed because of the small volume of the system. when the airspace is gone there is nowhere for the expanding water to go except out the t and p valve.

check your owners manual to verify this.

john
Old 01-14-2004, 02:46 AM   #4

being that I'm a union plumber what I suggest is that T&P valves found at home & hardware stores are residential and light comm. work T&Pvalves for those water htrs. work under higher water pressure p.s.i. and higher temps. than what may be found in R.V.'s check with Airstream dealer or the factory for the water hearters Manfr. specs. a water heater not operating correctly is like a bomb ready to explode that is why T&P valves are installed on them, since yours is leaking Jim your temp. setting might be set to high .When a T&P valve starts leaking from minerals in most water systems in the U.S. using a filter for chem. and minerals at the fresh water tank inlet fill helps what Navigator &john hd have said is right in ball park . I would also use teflon tape and pipe dope w/teflon I would like to see You do the job right than too here about it blowing up on You. enjoy and be safe.
TerraMan is offline   Reply With Quote