Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Water heater switch not turning on/lighting red

I have a 1998 Safari with a 6-gallon Atwood gas with electric ignition, model G6A-8E. You turn it on with a switch over the bathroom sink. As it lights, the light next will be red.

In the middle of the night a few days ago, the water heater stopped heating. I had cold water come morning. I turned the switch off, and then switched it back on. The red light did not come on, nor did I hear any clicking sounds or gas running as I normally wood as it "tried" to light. I made a few attempts at different times of day to turn it back on with no success. I have plenty of propane to the trailer, as I am still able to cook on the stove.

I am thinking it might be a faulty thermostat? All the circuits to the trailer are fine. A faulty switch?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am not in a position to tow the vehicle for repair (I am without a tow vehicle at the moment). I am hoping a normal electician (or maybe plumber) will be able to repair it.

Thanks

Allysa
mizzadventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It could be something as simple as bad connections to the ignitor board, or a blown over temperature fuse, or it could be a bad board itself. Almost impossible to say from afar. Since you can't take it to an RV dealer (any should be able to fix the problem, it is not an Airstream only water heater) you should see if there is a mobile RV repair person who can come to you available locally.

I doubt that any normal electrician or plumber would be of help. Contact an RV dealer with repair facilities and ask them if there are any mobile RV repair people in your area who they can recommend.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Step one is to remove, clean and reconnect all the wires on the little lugs.

Then, if no luck, call the mobile RV guy.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Thanks idroba and Mike,

You were right! I saw a coupld of YouTube videos that explained the layout of the water heater panel to me. This is one of them (for anyone reading this thread that is a novice like me):

I just needed to unplug, clean the connectors and replug in. Wah-la!

Now, I need to find a mobile RV guy! Because there will inevitably be other problems.

Many thanks,

Allysa
mizzadventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
light on the back of water heater

so i have tried to check connections and such. what if the little red light on the control panel on hte back of the water heater never comes on. I have tried wiggling the parts and cleaning them. Does this signal a particular problem?
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Monty

It might be a good excuse to buy a volt meter. It sure sounds like an electrical problem. You might find a video on youtube that shows how to check a thermostat

Isn't it's power source fused?

Did you check for mice chewed wires?

If all else fails, The boards go for a hundred or so dollars It wouldn't be the end of the world to have a spare. They are easy to replace, and it's much cheaper than a new heater and installation
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
the book says there is a distribution box that has reset switches. However, I cannot find it. There is a silver box, but I am not finding wires coming out of it or a reset button. There are number of wires on the other side of the trailer that are just joined together with wire nuts. We have a 94 classic Limited.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Don't know what you have

Some chargers have fuses on them. I would start there as the water heater uses 12 volt.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
The YouTube video is an excellent primer. Our switch's red light comes on but nothing ignites. I'll check connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums