Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
water heater switch light

On my 2008 19 ft bambi, when I turn on the water heater with the interior switch, the red light next to the switch comes on for a few seconds and then goes off and stays off. I'm guessing it is going off when the burner is lit. Is this normal or should the light remain on while the water heater is turned on, to remind you that it is on?
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
That's normal operation. If the red light stays on, or comes on again and stays on, it means the burner did not light. Then you turn the switch off, wait a couple of minutes and try again.

If you run out of LP and replace the tanks, quite often it'll take a couple of cycles to purge the air out of the line and get the burner to light.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
When I installed our new water heater, I had to mount the switch as the original water heater had a manual pilot flame. I used two LED panel lights, one green and one red; the green is wired to the water heater power (shows the heater is ON) and the red is wired to the trouble line from the heater, and it behaves as yours does.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
Thanks barts, where did you pick up the hot line for the water heater. I really would like to ad a heater on light just so I won't forget and waste gas.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Thanks barts, where did you pick up the hot line for the water heater. I really would like to ad a heater on light just so I won't forget and waste gas.
Oh...if only a furnace could use propane as efficiently as a water heater does! You can suck two 30lb tanks dry in a week or less during heating season, but I last filled my tanks in MARCH, and finally ran the first one dry last week. I don't worry about forgetting to turn the water heater off any more.

Paula
Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
On our '71 Tradewind the desk next to the water heater compartment had an overhead light; I took a line from that for the water heater. Since the switch is next to the desk, I also added a 12V lighter plug (w/ a 15A circuit breaker) in addition to the water heater pilot lights and switch... and the water heater power is protected w/ a low amp fuse. The components are all mounted on a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate... here's a zoomed picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PickleWHpanel_1963.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	106585  
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I guess this comes under the situation that if all else fails, read the instructions...I'll plead the 5th on this one....

Right from the Atwood manual...

"GAS OPERATION. When the gas switch (electrical flip switch) is turned on, the unit will make three attempts to light. If for any reason there is no ignition, the unit will lockout and the red lockout lamp will illuminate."

After finding out why it didn't light, you reset the routine by turning the flip switch to OFF and wait 10 seconds...

Ours also illuminates the RED pilot lamp while the electronic ignition is in the process of lighting off the gas - then goes off, telling us we're flaming away - but we can hear it as well...just as you described...

Ray