Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Water heater spitting from relief valve

I'm writing on behalf of a friend. He has a '01 or '02 AS and was having a problem with the water heater spitting from the pressure relief valve and during use it never really got hot. It began recently while in use and when he spoke with his parts supplier in KC, Kansas it was recommended to replace the temp. sensor. After replacement the problem still continued. Next came a new electronic module. Problem still continued, no change. Thinking that perhaps the gas valve was failing to shut down at temp. he turned on the electric switch and ran it on elec. rather than gas. Problem continues leading him to lean towards the relief valve. So in goes a new relief valve and problem SOLVED.

Now, personally I've never seen one of these valves replaced in household application of water heating systems. Just makes me wonder if this in a common issue with trailer units. This was simply the last thing I would have looked at and turned out to be simple to replace and the cheapest fix. Is this something that we should be carrying in our tool box for quick fixes or just an oddball occurrance.

Thanks for all your valued input.
Roger ( from NJ visiting in KS)
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
It would have been the first thing I would have looked at, for two reason.

Because there are really only two reason this would be happening. The part guy really lead him astray..

1: water was to hot and building up to much pressure. (then it's doing its job.)
2: bad valve.

My friend had one dripping in his home hot water tank.

I don't think it's a common problem, but they do go bad..

I'm not sure why the parts go said replace the temp sensor, I don't see how this would effect it unless the water was to hot, and you said it wasn't... weird ...

And then I have no Idea how an electronic module would effect a pressure release valve, unless the water was getting to hot...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks for the input. Too late to help in this current issue but I will bank it for when it happens to me. Appreciate you all sharing your experience and knowledge so freely with us newbees.

Roger
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
One more reason for a dripping valve...
One one of our first trips we were in a large camp area (250+) and we noticed our water heater valve just would not stop dripping. As we walked around the area we noticed other campers were also dripping. What we found was the campground had very high water pressure. We got a pressure reducer valve and always travel with it now and problem fixed. Just a FYI... the valve goes on the hose bib.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
We had a drippy temperature / pressure relief valve on our '87 (tank and valve are original to the trailer) and I actually got out the old owner's manual and read it. The fix, for at least our drippy valve, was the following procedure as outlined in the owner's manual...

1 - Let water come up to temperature.
2 - Turn off city water and on board water pump.
3 - Manually open the temperature / pressure valve and let it open until no more water drains from it (be careful here becasue the water is obviously going to be HOT).
3 - Close the temperature / pressure valve.
4 - Turn the city water or pump back on.

I think the manual made mention of an expansion air bubble in the tank and if that air bubble wasn't there the valve may drip.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
One more reason for a dripping valve...
One one of our first trips we were in a large camp area (250+) and we noticed our water heater valve just would not stop dripping. As we walked around the area we noticed other campers were also dripping. What we found was the campground had very high water pressure. We got a pressure reducer valve and always travel with it now and problem fixed. Just a FYI... the valve goes on the hose bib.

Yes this is a must. You don't want to pump 70 + psi and higher through the water lines. It can blow stuff up. And a lot of camp grounds push 100 psi. My hose connecting to the water supply has been bulging sometimes. I always hook the pressure reducer to the spigot first then hook onto that.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote