Old 04-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Water Heater runs on Gas/Electric with electric switch on

We have 2018 23CB. Our hot water heater heats with both Gas AND Electric at the same time when we turn on just the electric switch. Turning on the gas switch heats with propane only.

This is our second Airstream. Our previous 2013 model heated with electric only with the electric switch on. So having gas and electric together does not seem right.

I did check the hot water heater wiring diagram. Switched 12V is used to control gas and electric operation. I verified the gas and electric switches are wired correctly. However turning on only the electric switch places 12V input to control board for both gas and electric (white and orange wire). So it appears to be wired to operate this way.

If the electric switch is not supposed to turn on gas and electric together, I'll need to further chase the wiring to find out where the problem is.

Thanks

CoastieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
This is the type of issue that Airstream service should be requested to troubleshoot. That does several things. It gets you a technical resource. It informs the AS team that they may have a quality issue. At a minimum it presents an issue that AS needs to communicate to owners in walk throughs and service conversations. Most important it gets you a response as to if you should operate the heater as configured. If there is a hazard that must be corrected before opertion you would rather find out now rather than later.

But thank you for posting the info here. It may get picked up by someone who has dealt with the issue or link you with others trying to understand why their unit operates different than expected. The common brain trust is much more helpful when fed a steady diet of information. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Pat, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do plan to contact Airstream about this as my coach is still under warranty. I was mainly just curious if anyone else had experienced this same issue. Thanks again, John
CoastieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The configuration sounds wrong, but the new AS models include more new capability and designs do change. A link to your thread is now on the 23D thread. When you have follow up info, please post to update the thread. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote